Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Can Carpet Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruise98
I like the cancan interior. Mine has it too, but the carpet is turning pink in spots. Please share the details on the Leatherique dye so I can make it red again. Thanks.
The bottle of of dye came with the carpets when I got them. It's my understanding that a small swatch of the carpet (from under the seat) was sent to Leatherique, and the color-matched a bottle of the dye to match it. I'm sure if you contact them directly, they could provide additional information.

As far as application, i added 10% distilled water and applied with a spray bottle. Immediately after spraying I worked it in with a stiff bristled kitchen dish brush. It's really as simple as that, and I freshened up all the carpet pieces along with both seats. I let it dry for several days before I installed it. I was fully expecting to get out of the car with a red back after the first few rides, but it didn't happen.

Really happy (and surprised, actually) at how nicely it turned out.

Tried to attach a before and after pic of my hatch carpet, but got a Parse Error message...
Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

that does sound easy - guess Ill be dying my hatch carpet black again, I have used their leather dye with great success in the past.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EJZero1
The bottle of of dye came with the carpets when I got them. It's my understanding that a small swatch of the carpet (from under the seat) was sent to Leatherique, and the color-matched a bottle of the dye to match it. I'm sure if you contact them directly, they could provide additional information.

As far as application, i added 10% distilled water and applied with a spray bottle. Immediately after spraying I worked it in with a stiff bristled kitchen dish brush. It's really as simple as that, and I freshened up all the carpet pieces along with both seats. I let it dry for several days before I installed it. I was fully expecting to get out of the car with a red back after the first few rides, but it didn't happen.

Really happy (and surprised, actually) at how nicely it turned out.

Tried to attach a before and after pic of my hatch carpet, but got a Parse Error message...

Funny thing is that the square was cut out already when i got the carpet. When i contacted leatherque for the bottle they said they didn't need a sample anymore.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt O.
What brand seat? Looks cool.
The seats are an older version Sparco. They have similar versions on their web site currently, though. Very comfy and supportive, though I haven't spent any more than 20 minutes sitting in the driver's seat at one time thus far. The adapter plates I ordered from the Sparco web site were a perfect fit for the 944' but did test my contortionist skills during the install!

Last edited by EJZero1; 07-07-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was me that sold the can-can shift boot! Glad it found a home!

To the OP - what brand of dash cover is that? Looks great!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EJZero1
I considered going with black, but in the end I'm happy with the way the red turned out. I think the black accents on the red seats give just the right contrast.
Looks great.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:12 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1...what dash cap is that?

My crack free dash is no longer crack free and pissing me off.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
That was me that sold the can-can shift boot! Glad it found a home! To the OP - what brand of dash cover is that? Looks great!
The car's PO installed it, so I can't verify, but it would appear to be the plastic Coverlay variety.

The pics make it look better than it really is. Up close and in person, you'd notice that it's actually got hot enough in the sun to start warping. Additionally, the PO added a pop rivet or two to hold it in place.

Future plans are to pull the plastic and recover the dash in black leather with red stitching.

Quick Reply: Can Can Carpet Install