Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What'd I do wrong? Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 12:11 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What'd I do wrong? Part II

Well, I may have congratulated myself too soon. I can't lock the pass door from the outside. When I turn the key it locks, but when I bring the key back to the position to pull it out, it unlocks. It locks fine from the inside with the lock switch. Do I have to take the thing apart again? Can anybody help me?

Last edited by MichelleJD; 10-19-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a threaded rod with a plastic ball joint clip that attaches to the back of the lock cylinder. Sounds like it is adjusted TOO SHORT now. If you had it all apart recently, that's probably the cause.

Yes unfortunately, you have to take it all apart (door panel that is) and remove the door handle to adjust it.....

Just did this last week on my 968 Cab, so I feel the pain.... Budget a few hours if you have never done this before.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:49 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

My plastic ball cups blew out several weeks after I bought the car. After I bought new ones and they cracked within another few weeks, I decided to make a brace out of coat hangar that went through a hole I drilled with a pin vice through the plastic piece, and wrapped around the ball joint. I made adjustments and tested it before I put the door panels back on. My little cheapo fix has lasted 3 years now. Both doors lock and unlock everytime I turn the key or push the button.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:20 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC the threaded rod doesn't have anything to do with locking or unlocking, it's for opening the latch. I would disconnect the battery and try again, if it doesn't happen it might be the door lock actuator (little switch, is it called that?).
Old 10-19-2003, 04:21 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, NOW someone else is going what I'm going through Misery loves company you know...

Seriously though- I HATE for anyone to be dealing w/this- I Have for several fu**ing months now!!! SOMETIMES I can remove the key w/out them locking back & sometimes I can't- SOMETIMES I can lock the door from the passenger side, sometimes I can't- SOMETIMES the interior button works & sometimes it doesn't- It's a radom thing too- SOMETIMES I can't even lock the door at all, but, I can put the key back in thedriver side & wiggle it back upward & it will THEN lock correctly- SOMETIMES I come back to my car & it has mysteriously unlocked itself... IT's DRIVING ME NUCKINFUTS!!!

Okay, rant over- ALL this is happening w/out me EVER getting back in to mess w/it! I must have taken those things off 30 total times to try to fix this too!!! Okay, rant over now...

BTW- you DO NOT have to take the door panel off to do anything w/these locks on later cars...

The little plastic arm thing- I HAD the passenger side disconnected for several weeks & the dor still locked fine- from the DRIVER side at least- those little arms do NOT neccessarily affect this- I mentioned this to Keith & HE thought I was crazy I think- he told me they DID control the up & down movement of the lock buttons- I went back & checked (SEVERAL TIMES TOO I might add) & it was NOT connected & the locks WERE working (RANDOMLY of course)...

led- I'm not sure how these little arms would have anything to do w/the hatch OR WHY the battery would need to be disconnected for this- are you sure we're talking about the same things here? Also, are they really threaded? I thought they just had a ball on each end(?)- it's a PITA to get BOTH ends connected right, too...

I REALLY would LOVE for someone to tell me how to fix this...

Michelle, IF I find out ANYTHING (I think I'm going to get my mechnic's help early next week) I'll let you know- PLEASE do the same for me...

rkc@kvine.com

Thanks & good luck!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:12 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said latch What I mean about the battery is that maybe the little switch that controls the power lock feature from outside the car is set wrong.
Michelle - when you remove the key do both doors unlock or only the passenger side?
Old 10-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by led
I said latch What I mean about the battery is that maybe the little switch that controls the power lock feature from outside the car is set wrong.
Michelle - when you remove the key do both doors unlock or only the passenger side?
AHHHHH- L-atch, as in latch- I see- Okay, THAT makes more sense... I'm not sure about it being the switch you just mentioned though- they worked PERFECTLY right up until I removed them- any chance I messed that switch up WHILE doing the replacement?
Old 10-19-2003, 11:36 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by led
The driver door stays locked. If I lock the driver door, the pass door does not lock. I think Randy is right (%$@damn it!) and it's the actuator rod. There is an adjustment on the end. I was able to approximate the length on the driver's door, but the old actuator rod on the pass side fell down into the door and I couldn't reach it. I just adjusted the new one to the length of the driver's door. Looks like I misjudged the length. I'll take it apart this afternoon and try to unscrew the rod with it still attached at the base. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanx for all of the replies
Old 10-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't use new actuator rods- I've got the 951ones in there- I did a little grinding on the back of hte new handles to make them fit correctly... So, I kind of doubt this is my prob....
Old 10-19-2003, 12:40 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My little cheapo fix has lasted 3 years now.
Thats not a "cheapo fix," thats applied innovation!
Old 10-19-2003, 06:32 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, now the central locking works only by the switch. Neither door will lock the other and I CAN lock the pass door w/o it unlocking when I remove the key. I didn't do anything to the actuator rod. What gives I guess this vindicates Robby. Anyone know what's up?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:13 PM
icat
Race Car

With the electric door locks the micro switch MUST be correctly centered or you'll wind up with electrical gremlins in your lock activation. It's also possible that you need new micro switches to restore the function. As with most things on these cars, if it's working then sometimes it's best not to mess with it. Removing and reinstalling the switch "may" have messed it up. I'd take it apart and attempt to clean it, then reinstall and test with the handle “hanging” from the car, but not fully installed. This will give you some idea if you’re at least close to correct. Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to verify 100% functionality without reinstalling the handles.

Robby, on the activation arms, there are two functions to this device. The first controls the “pull” required to squeeze the door handle lever (you might refer to it as a trigger) to unlock the latch for the door. The second is to actually release the latch when you pull the trigger.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:56 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanx Keith. Since I'm probably going to go to keyless entry, I'll wait til I'm ready for that install before messing with the gremlins.

Quick Reply: What'd I do wrong? Part II