Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitive Rotor Guide (hopefully with your help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:39 PM
bowser1724
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been late to posting my latest experience, and its only a partial. I haven't had enough seat time to really say one way or another, but I ran Centric (rock auto's cheapies) and Hawk HP+ at a recent track day. I felt that the car stopped sufficiently - was able to go pretty deep into turns, but I don't have a point of reference on the car yet. Unfortunately my day ended prematurely as my motor blew, so i only got about 45-50 min actual track time. I would say that overall, i noticed some very slight fade, but after letting the car cool down, the brakes were fine again. I suppose if I am able to rebuild the motor, i'll slap on some higher end rotors for comparison.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:46 PM
bowser1724
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I use Sebro solid rotors. I usually get 2-3 seasons out of them in the front. And many, many seasons out of the rear.

To the OP, I think you're over thinking it for an NA car. The Sebro rotors for $45~ish are fantastic bang-for-the-buck. Could you argue that slotted, dimpled, cross-drilled, plated, etc. have some marginally beneficial attributes? Sure... but are they worth the additional cost? I don't think so.
Seems like a good perspective, however if you take the stance that braking is really the most important thing on the track - then even marginal improvements, especially in combatting fade could be considered worth it. As usual, it is up to the individual to decide, but how do we help them decide? (more data!)

part two here is whether there is a tradeoff on longevity vs. stopping power - which i think it seems obvious, but sometimes things are not as they seem.

Quick Reply: Definitive Rotor Guide (hopefully with your help)