Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine cleaning while the intake manifold is off

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016 | 02:07 PM
jbob
Racer

Default engine cleaning while the intake manifold is off

have a last chance to clean off some minor but visible crud from the nooks around the balance shaft and around the AOS while the manifold is off. any recommended methods to get this nice and clean? I was considering pressure washing, but don't want to foul any plugs. I just want this 30 year build up to be off and I like seeing the motor clean as I'm sure most do. just not sure the best way to do it. been using WD40 and some paper towels to middling success while I was killing time with things apart.
Old 06-22-2016 | 03:51 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

For a less aggressive cleaning 1:1 or straight Simple green with a soft bristle brush (Toothbrush or dish cleaning scrub brush). Simple green is pretty effective on a lot of dirt and build up but at the same time is not very harsh.

If you want to maximize your cleaning ability with simple green buy a set of OXO replacement palm brush refills. These cost about $5. Then drill a hole in the center of the brush and place a carriage bolt and nut in the hole. This will allow you to attach the brush to a drill and you will really be cleaning.

If you don't like the results after trying Simple green you could step up to brake cleaner or Castrol super clean (depending on the location).

I don't really recommend stuff like Gunk Engine Brite as they seem no more effective then Simple Green.
Old 06-23-2016 | 07:36 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Go rent a steam generator machine, and no, I don't mean a Rug Doctor..lol. They shoot out pressurized steam in a controlled manor so you don't have water getting into the electrical connectors. Or I believe Harbor Freight has one for like $139 before the 20% coupie.
Old 06-25-2016 | 06:29 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Nice to know about the HF deal..I'll take a good look-see at it. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2016 | 10:41 PM
wingnut
Intermediate

Mineral spirits, from your local paint/hardware/homedepot store, applied with an air siphon sprayer like :this: Northern Tool & Supply has these sprayers, seen it in the store, but cannot find it on the website. Spray some on and let it soak for a few minutes, then spray it again to blast off the crud. Of course be mindful the mineral spirits are flammable.
Old 06-26-2016 | 10:24 AM
Project560
Track Day

I used some engine degreaser and it did get rid of the grease. After letting the degreaser completely evaporate for a few days, I got more agressive and used a mix of wire brushes. I used a small hand brush and decided that a wire brush on a drill was even better. I bought an assortment pack of various sized drill attachments. The wire brush seemed to do a better job getting rid of the oxidation. It is definitely not a show car, but it cleaned things up. Good luck!

Andrew
Project 560
84 944 - a work in progress
Old 06-26-2016 | 10:49 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

The wire brush in a drill helps..If you want to get down and dirty with the oxidation, then go with a dremel and their wire brushes..watch out for the flying strands..they don't stay on the wheel too well. I recently picked up a brush pack for the dremel at Harbour freight..Still have to check them out though. It's the best way I know of to get rid of the oxidation..then I spray the aluminum bits with VHT Engine paint, cast aluminum..two coats, then gloss over that. I still have to try out the two part epoxy type paint that was spoken of recently in another thread. Supposed to be the "hot stuff"...

Quick Reply: engine cleaning while the intake manifold is off