Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used car in Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a used car in Ontario

Alright I was at the MTO site and was reading up on some stuff because i'm planning on buying a 944 soon. I happen to come across this paragraph on retail sales tax on privately sold cars, and I'm like uh wtf, I thought cars sold privately were exempt from taxes? I guess I was way off lol. Exactly how much do they tax you anyhow.. is it like GST and PST or just PST or what? Or is there actually some way of getting around this tax?

Anyone wanna shed some light on purchasing a car in Ontario, I didn't realize how much of a newbie I am when it comes to buying used cars. Just give me the lowdown on all the fees and stuff I have to do beforehand. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Buying a used car in Ontario

Originally posted by Baron009
Alright I was at the MTO site and was reading up on some stuff because i'm planning on buying a 944 soon. I happen to come across this paragraph on retail sales tax on privately sold cars, and I'm like uh wtf, I thought cars sold privately were exempt from taxes? I guess I was way off lol. Exactly how much do they tax you anyhow.. is it like GST and PST or just PST or what? Or is there actually some way of getting around this tax?

Anyone wanna shed some light on purchasing a car in Ontario, I didn't realize how much of a newbie I am when it comes to buying used cars. Just give me the lowdown on all the fees and stuff I have to do beforehand. Thanks.
If you buy the car from a dealer you will pay Price of car+GST (7%)+PST (8%)+ license fee and some of them will ask for $20 for gas. All businesses charge GST.

If you buy the car privately you will pay the price that you both agree on to the seller. A private seller does not collect any taxes but when you go to license the car you will be required to fork over the license fee+the PST on the selling price of the car. In Ontario the seller is required to provide a used vehicle information kit which will tell you if the car has an outstanding leans on it and the "shocker" the true wholesale value of the car which in most cases will be very low in comparison to the price you are paying.

Before you decide to handing over your $ for a 944 do yourself a favour and line up a mechanic who know these cars to do a PPI (prepurchase Inspection) on your intended purchase. This can save $$$ in the long and short of it. Always insist that the seller do the mechanical certification and emmission certifications before agreeing on a price, as either of these could cost you a small fortune before you get the car on the road.

Check out the Porsche Club (Upper Canada Region). Granted some of the prices are out of this world but sometimes there are some really "sweet deals". Most members baby the cars so they are usually in pretty good condition to start.

http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/discussion.nsf/Classified

Take your time looking and buy the best example that you can afford and of course remember Buyer be ware !!!

Mark
'86 944NA
Old 10-17-2003, 11:09 PM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just done the same, luckly it was only $2000 for the car, I got charged about 6% when I changed the title over, last week. There is a book value that is almost impossible to find any info in (Canadian red book) and they used that for a value to work on if the car is road worthy, as my test isn't untill november I'll have to re-safty so I told them it wasn't useable on the road. When you buy a vehicle you should get a pack that explains it all.

Quick Reply: Buying a used car in Ontario