Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Texas Fun Run!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beautiful day. The weather couldn't have been better!! As usual, it was great to see everybody. Met Brian's wife, Becky, and their neighbor, who was alowed to come even though he doesn't own a Porsche (not his fault, just not enough exposure). Great to meet you Greg. George and Kerry were there as well as Matt, James, and myself. Keith, really, that car of yours NEEDS to be driven, we'll even come drive it for you!

We got started around 10:00 @ IHOP (Brian almost didn't get to eat *again*) Took some pics in a parking lot behind IHOP and headed out!

First stop was a Chevron where I almost paid for James' gas. How often do you look out and see more that one 944? Took 1314 West toward Conroe. As we turned onto Hwy 105, Matt is hanging out of James' open sunroof to get some video, as we drove past the ONLY law enforcement officer of the day. Thankfully, he decided not to stop James/Matt.

Lots of traffic in Conroe. People going to the lake? Nice little drive as the flat coastal terrain changed to hilly wooded landscapes.

The fun was definately had on Hwy 149 as you travel through the Sam Houston National Forest. Lots of twisties, and hills. The only thing better would have been for us to be the ONLY ones on the road. After a quick picture stop, it was on to the bustling metropolis of Richards Texas, population 310.

Maps are usually pretty reliable, but the Texas Dept. of Transportion is as always, less dependable. One of the primary roads on our planned route was only partially repaved. Not wanting to suffer rock chips and broken windshields ($750 a pop). It was back to Richards to find an alternate route.

When we made it to Hwy 30 which connects Huntsville to Bryan/College Station, it was time for some "leg stretching". My spedo, which is off by some amount or another said north of 110. Which proved to be enough to lengthen the crack in Brians windshield by a couple of inches. (Sorry!)

When we got into Bryan and turned onto hwy 6 headed toward Texas World Speedway, Matt just flat OPENS up the Miata. We all enentually arrived at TWS and spent the rest of the day walking about the paddock and talking, and taking pictures. Hey did anybody else get sunburned?

Thanks for the great turnout. It is always a great time when we get togher. Watch for people to post pictures soon. Right Matt, James, Geo?
Old 10-18-2003, 11:33 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg and I hooked onto the bumper of a suburban (Texas Caddy) doing 90 down HWY 6. That's why I never saw you guys again after we took the on-ramp. We kept it at 90-95 all the way to Hempstead. Hit 290 and were right in the middle of a pack of AC Cobras (5 of 'em). It seems everybody had their toys out today. The S2K that just came off the track was tail-end charlie in our little convoy.

It really was a good day. Beautiful weather. Just perfect. As always, glad to see everyone.

Becki admitted she had fun today.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:03 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Kevin Baker
We got started around 10:00 @ IHOP (Brian almost didn't get to eat *again*) Took some pics in a parking lot behind IHOP and headed out!
Yep. Got a photo coming in a sec. I don't have my notebook configured for FTP so I'll have to post them from my hard drive one at a time.

The fun was definately had on Hwy 149 as you travel through the Sam Houston National Forest. Lots of twisties, and hills. The only thing better would have been for us to be the ONLY ones on the road.
Y'all made me work kind of hard in that Durango today. It's a bit sloppier than my Bimmer.

Thanks for the great turnout. It is always a great time when we get togher. Watch for people to post pictures soon. Right Matt, James, Geo?
Thanks for putting this together Kevin. It was what the doctor ordered after the last couple of days I've had. We stayed in College Station. Since there isn't a football game here today, rooms were plentiful and we got a nice suite at one of the Marriott hotels. Thanks to Matt for showing us where the hotels are and for checking on availability at some for us.

Photos to follow.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Geo
Race Director

Here's a group photo to start everyone off.....
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Geo
Race Director

Uh......

There was are real road here once.......
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:15 AM
Geo
Race Director

Just so everyone knew who we were......
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Geo
Race Director

Photo op.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Geo
Race Director

Gettin' artsy fartsy......
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Geo
Race Director

When we got to the track, who did we find, but OZ951.

Good to finally meet you mate.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Geo
Race Director

Couldn't have just one photo of his sweet 951 now could we?
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Geo
Race Director

Lastly, you just don't see one of these every day.....
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics! Thanks George! I want the "photo op" as my avatar. Can you email it to me? kevin.-baker@sbcglobal.net or KevinBaker@Rennlist.net
Old 10-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics George. Very nice.

Now, we'd better start thinking about your idea of a wrenching party on your track car. You know my schedule gets booked at least 6 weeks in advance. You were thinking of something Friday after Thanksgiving? I may be available.

I was a little less than perfectly happy with my handling today. I may be replacing all the suspendy-bits under mine very, very soon.

This tweaking process has no end.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Geo
Race Director

Great pics! Thanks George! I want the "photo op" as my avatar. Can you email it to me? kevin.-baker@sbcglobal.net or KevinBaker@Rennlist.net
On its way in a moment.

Do you have the ability to resize or would you like me to resize it for you?
Old 10-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Red1
Nice pics George. Very nice.

Now, we'd better start thinking about your idea of a wrenching party on your track car. You know my schedule gets booked at least 6 weeks in advance. You were thinking of something Friday after Thanksgiving? I may be available.

I was a little less than perfectly happy with my handling today. I may be replacing all the suspendy-bits under mine very, very soon.

This tweaking process has no end.
I'll check with Kerry in the morning (she's sleeping already while I'm geeking). We usually do the day after Thanksgiving. Helps us get rid of leftovers too. I mainly have to determine where we will be for Thanksgiving this year (Houston or Dallas).

Otherwise, it sounds great to me.

Quick Reply: Central Texas Fun Run!