Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual window conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 08:02 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

It's wicked simple.

Geesh no one pays attention to my posts.

http://www.sidv.org/manualsunroof.htm.

Only thing that needs to be slightly modified is the header panel to allow the latches to fold all the way down. If you guys were manufacturing, you could give it an L shape to negate that need.

End of replacing plastic gears, and limit switch adjustments etc etc etc. Als quicker to get in and out
Old 10-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here are some weights for a few things. On anything under 5.5 lbs I have it to the 1/10th of an ounce. Anything over that is to the half pound (had to use a different scale). First things first:

Window regulator, power with wiring harness (no switches) - 6 lbs

Window regulator, non power - 3 lbs 6.2 ozs

Now a couple other weights I promised before:

Power flag style mirror with glass - 3 lbs 6 ozs

Cup style non power mirror - 1 lb 2 ozs

Stock fiberglass sunroof panel without hardware or interior liner - 15.5 lbs

Me - 15.5 stones
Old 10-16-2003, 08:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm so figure 6 lbs for both sides?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bummer - I kind of liked not knowing Ah well, every little bit helps... still on my stupid friggin diet
Old 10-16-2003, 08:31 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Ostrich meat diet?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, yeah every little bit helps. That's why I'm trying to get back down to under 14 stones.

Easiest big weight reduction for the car however is as Joe suggests: ditch the AC (50 lbs), ditch power steering (about 8 lbs) and ditch the rear seat back (I don't remember but it is a heavy bitch). Obviously the spare and tools should go.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you ditch the power windows, a/c, and power mirrors, then you've done pretty much what Porsche did with the euro Club Sport 968. (They lost the power hatch release too). If you do all that maybe you can run a smaller alternator and battery, (they changed the wiring harness too on the CS's). I guess it was worthwhile enough for Porsche to do it.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip i have been trying to get appbiz.com to make me custom rs style door panels but he wont do it. basicly he told me to buy his hardware kit for the door pull and the red rope guy to open the door, get donor door panels & cut the top off them (above the handle, where the electric window bottoms etc are).. i guess buy his generic door panel material, have it covered in vinyl and bolt it to the stock top half... i will probably try it when a set of door panels from a late car show up on ebay but if you guys find someone who will manufacture them, let me know.

I also got a spare center console to rip apart and work on making it end right after the shifter (remove the ash tray and arm rest and casette box) and i have tim at speedforce making me a gauge panel double tall to remove the radio....who says only 911 can have minimalistic interiors.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

You can just remove the armrest/cassette box right now. At least on the early style cars you can. I took mine out a few years ago. There is even carpet underneath so you don't wind up with the unfinished floor/tunnel showing through. I think it is only held in place with 4 panel screws.

Personally I still want to concoct a center console like the GTS has where there is nothing from the vent control down and nothing surrounding the shifter
Old 10-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Emu.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:23 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that what that is?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:52 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Manning
Dan,

You can just remove the armrest/cassette box right now. At least on the early style cars you can. I took mine out a few years ago. There is even carpet underneath so you don't wind up with the unfinished floor/tunnel showing through. I think it is only held in place with 4 panel screws.

Personally I still want to concoct a center console like the GTS has where there is nothing from the vent control down and nothing surrounding the shifter
while i want minimalistic i also want it to be properly finished, i like the red pull and not having holes where the map pocket usedto be.

id like to have no climate control at all, nothing but a fiberglass race dash... but that dirty "resale" word still sneaks up on me once in a while when i get TOO carried away
Old 10-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dan, thanks - I have email in to him.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There are CF dashes for sale on Ebay from time to time - here's the last one that did not make reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2434645178

I agree with the finished look for what would be the majority of owners. Racers will simply remove the panel or strip it down or install thin sheet metal (my approach). I am looking into the availability of 968CS door panels and manual window regulators, but I won't hold my breath. The 924 angle may also be a limited stock situation. Going used it what most may have the stomach for, but used parts are certainly not all the same quality, nor are they for everyone.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:34 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Skip
There are CF dashes for sale on Ebay from time to time - here's the last one that did not make reserve:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2434645178

I agree with the finished look for what would be the majority of owners. Racers will simply remove the panel or strip it down or install thin sheet metal (my approach). I am looking into the availability of 968CS door panels and manual window regulators, but I won't hold my breath. The 924 angle may also be a limited stock situation. Going used it what most may have the stomach for, but used parts are certainly not all the same quality, nor are they for everyone.
Thats the dash i wanted, but i get tired of cars quickly and i dont want thisone to be worthless when i start the next project.

I attached the picture i sent to appbiz when i first contacted him... this is pretty much what i want but i like the red pull tab the 911 panels have insted of a standard handle...

you can also see how i want to end the console after the shifter, but i want mine to be finished and clean/factory looking..... and hey you can even see the no radio gauge panel! ok, so i prettu much want this car... just a little cleaner
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Manual window conversion...