Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that want 968 door handles...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003 | 10:11 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

That's encouraging
Old 10-15-2003 | 10:11 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

You know, not to offend anyone with the 968 handles/mirrors, but I really like the stock ones better. The curves of the 968 stuff looks to me, really out of place. Call me strange, by I love the rectangle mirrors!
Old 10-15-2003 | 10:18 PM
icat
Race Car

Sharky, you're just saying that because you have so many parts cars - all with flag mirrors!

MJD - It's really not THAT bad. Just take your time. Don't start unless you can do with out the car for awhile though. This isn't a 15 minute upgrade (unless you've done it before). Side one took me several days. But I had to create a procedure where none existed. Side two took about an hour and a half - including cleanup - AND including having my wife come out every fifteen minutes to snap a photo or two.
Old 10-15-2003 | 10:19 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Heeeey now, you'd be surprised how fast I can push my 924!
Old 10-15-2003 | 11:23 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by icat
Let's give credit where credit is due. I did not create the parts list - that was the other Keith. I did write the procedure, which is on my website - www.951motorsports.com and is linked on Tom P's most excellent 944 S2 site.

The 968 Handle and Aero Mirror installation gets easier each time you do it. Unfortunately the learning curve is pretty steep and takes two tries to get it down pat. Which means you'll have a hell of a time with your own, but can then do anyone else's quickly and efficiently. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.
WOW! Great write up - wish I found this site last week when I had to REPAIR the 968 harness the dealer CUT OFF when they replaced the PS mirror. Their solution? Hack off both connectors, charge the customer (PO) and when he calls to say it doesnt work, charge him again to "repair" it! No wonder the guy was eager to sell the car to me!
Old 10-15-2003 | 11:46 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by icat
MJD - It's really not THAT bad. Just take your time. Don't start unless you can do with out the car for awhile though. This isn't a 15 minute upgrade (unless you've done it before). Side one took me several days. But I had to create a procedure where none existed. Side two took about an hour and a half - including cleanup - AND including having my wife come out every fifteen minutes to snap a photo or two.
If I have to I'll drive the Exploder
Old 10-16-2003 | 12:03 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by MichelleJD
If I have to I'll drive the Exploder
if you're careful, have EVERYTHING that you need (all misc parts including tools, etc,) & pay close attention to Keith's instructions AND what you are doing, you should be able to get it done in a few hours- I went through Hell w/mine- STILL there actually, as my locks STILL don't work correctly... I still can't figure out what I did wrong either, but, I DID have to start over SEVERAL FU**ING times & suspect that this did not help matters any... Good luck- if all else fails, the dealers usually don't charge much to do this FOR you, so, you should be able to get most of the way through & pay them the rest IF you mess up- I'm taking mine in to get the locks fixed cause there's NO WAY I can get them right now- I've had the handles off over 30 times b/t the two & still can't get the locks functioning correctly... VERY frustrating, but, then, everything w/this car has been that way for me- they're cool cars, but DAMN if they can't be stubborn PITA's sometimes

Quick Reply: For those that want 968 door handles...