Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing a U.S. car into Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Importing a U.S. car into Europe - now a reality!

It's official, today I was told my services are no longer needed in the U.S. Life is going to get exciting again!

Chris

Have any of you experience of importing a 944 into either Belgium or the UK and what modifications would be necessary to make it comply with local law? Maybe I could even ditch the catalytic converter?

I know it probably does not make sense but I am attached to this car. I have owned it for more than 6 months so my understanding is that I would not need to pay duties or tax, correct?

Any information very welcome.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Highway T; 10-16-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:28 AM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Hello Highway T......

I am living in Belgium right now, so if you need help in getting the car registered let me know.

I have contacts at the registration office, and also can help with the Belgian "Control Technique" or vehicle inspection.

Best regards,

John
Belgium 1988 NA Alpine White.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Alex Cook
Instructor

In the UK, you can ditch the cat if the car is pre-93 (not sure of the exact date, but you'd be fine with an 87).

The car has to pass an annual safety check called the 'MoT test' - to pass this you may have to do some small work to the lights. For cars with red indicators, these need to be changed to orange, and the headlights need to be changed to point left on dipped beam - but pretty minor stuff really.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:10 AM
pikey7
Drifting

This place will tell you what you need to have.......

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/
Old 10-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all. The DVLA web site was very useful, I seem to meet all the requirements for a personal import. Great news on the cat.

John, did you actually import the car to Belgium or buy it local? Is there a local club or are you on your own? Been down to Spa or the NordSchleife yet?

I must confess that I am actually a Brit but I have been out of the UK over 6 years and spent 3 years of that in Belgium. You ought to hear my kids accents (Jack 7 and Cate 3)!

I have always sold my cars on each previous move so I thought I would check if anyone had any practical experience of importing. I figured on replacing the headlights in the UK (the speedo is MPH and KPH) but a Belgian friend told me a horror story of having to replace all the glass to register a US car in Belgium.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 06:06 AM
johnjcoyle
Instructor

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply. I am also a Brit x-pat, been here in Belgium for 5 years, approx... actually I am moving to Canada by May next year so in the mean time I'll do what I can to Help you.

First of all I think I am the only 944 rennlister in Belgium.... so far anyhow, there was recently a new thread started with a search for all european listers so a map could be made and ultimatly a meet up.

if you look through the site you will see a area section and europe is now on there, so this makes things a lot more local, if you know what I mean.

Yes, been to spa, also Zolder, spa is fantastic, its the best circuit I have been to and just a 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live.

There seem to be a few 944's around over here, and I have seen US spec versions on the road, dont know about the glass change thing, that sounds a bit drastic to me, however, as far as I am concerned the local control technique is the only worry, I should imagine that it's just a headlight angle change and thats all.

I see loads of US dodge ram trucks etc... camaro's other porsches so they all got here somehow, and they are on the road so it can't be too difficult.

If you want you could always speak to my mechanic, his name is rob, he is in Holland but just over the border from Belgium, you will find his contact details on his web site

www.v-zweeden.com

he is very good with this sort of thing.

If you need any further info for this import or for any help on Belgium then please do contact me, I'll do what I can for you.

PS, mine is for sale ! going to buy one in Canada, it's a 1988 NA Alpine white, with 175,000 kms on the clock, but I think you would probably prefer yours anyhow. !!

Thats all for now, let me know if you need any further help.....

regards,

John.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Chris,

I imported a U.S. spec 944S2 cabriolet into Europe last January. True, you'll be tax exempt due to change of residence, but the paperwork is quite extensive, so I hope you love your car that much!

Personally, I don't think it's worth bringing a U.S. spec car to Europe because comparable or better cars can be found in northern countries (e.g. Benelux, Germany, etc.) with less mileage and for less money, despite the strong Euro. Remember, these cars have hit rock bottom in Europe just like in the U.S.

The only reason I shipped over the S2 cab is that they are fairly rare (total production was less than 6K units built) and make excellent road cars.

Whatever you do, do not ship in a container. It will take forever and you'll be charged unloading costs in addition to the initial shipping freight. I made this mistake. Use a roll/on roll/off service. It should cost around $1,500 for a 944 from the east cost to a port like Bremerhaven, Germany. The U.K. may be less, but I doubt it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the registration process. The car must be made to comply with European specs, and this can be tricky on the early bumper cars. Particularly the lighting.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John and Luis. If you read the edit to the initial message you'll know I got confirmation yesterday, still not sure which country though.

If it is to be the UK then the LHD does not worry me too much. As you can tell I move around a lot and I hope to keep this care for a significant length of time.

I know cars are available locally but I would lose a lot on a fire sale and I have only just had the important work done on this one, so it is a known entity.

Thanks for the offer of help I will PM you both in a few days when I have more information.

Cheers,

Chris

Quick Reply: Importing a U.S. car into Europe