Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique project question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:54 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique project question...

The seating position for these cars is submediocre IMO- especially for shorter drivers- I'm about 5'9"- the relationship b/t pedals & steering wheel, etc, along w/lack of lumbar in seats makes it kind of bad- I'm looking for some Momo Street Racer seats- this being a street car I have to have adjustability- they will ALSO decrease weight slightly... Anyway, I can't really enjoy the SR since it feels like it's behind my head. I have long limbs too, & it STILL feels like this- the car's just set up that way. Anyway, I want to get some sort of pedal covers- something to allow heel & toe more easily than stock if going through the trouble- I already have a Momo Competition wheel- 350mm- makes steering heavier- would be perfect if it were ~280mm probably, but, would LOOK stupid- even the 350mm shows where Porsche screwed us w/a lack of steering column adjustment- the wheel is too high off one's knees & get's higher as the wheel gets closer &/OR smaller- unless one wants to raise one's seat high up- I'm relatively short & have it about as low as it will go... I want some sort of pedal spacer to bring the pedals (w/covers) ~1.75" closer- then, a spacer to bring the wheel ~1.25" closer: ~1/2" dif b/t the two... The pedal spacers would HAVE to be exceptionally light & would have to be technically made to keep relation b/t all pedals even. The wheel spacer would have to be angled so that the wheel would not RAISE up as it nears the driver- if ANYTHING, it could tilt it DOWN slightly, although I doubt this would work well- the wheel wouldn't be right if it went PAST vertical & tilted downward- perfectly vertical would be fine- not sure how this would work out, but if it could be kept even along the same exact horizontal height that it currently is, then it would work- this should not be a problem... Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

I am the same height (and not really long limbed) and do not have any issues with seating in my car, just plain factory seats. Actually I think it is some of the best seating around. I also have the Momo Competition wheel and use the Momo spacer to bring the wheel closer to my torso. I don't have problems with the heel/toe either though I did buy the Autovation pedal covers for the looks.

How are you setting the seat in the car? This is the procedure I use in all cars I drive.
1. Set seat to lowest (realtive to floor) position
2. Adjust distance from pedal. Fully depress clutch without having butt lift off seat and still maintain a slight knee bend.
3. Tilt seat back until arms fall comfortablly on the steering wheel.

This works for me.

HTH
Old 10-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm down & back as far as I can go- everyone who's been in the car agrees- also, no one's EVER said good things about the seats- which ones do you have? The only thing I like about the seats are the cloth middles, but one fact that NO ONE can argue is they have NO lumbar support- no question about it...they're also made for very pear-shaped individuals- not harping on ANYONE, but, they are too narrow for the shoulders & wider at bottom w/a hunched over feel up top as opposed to be shaped for a healthy spine w/generous lumbar, etc- no bolsters only tops off the situation- 8-way elec adj. I HAVE noticed, however, that full leather of the exact same type seem to have more lumbar, but still, only ~1/5th of what they SHOULD have- I've been in all kinds of cars & there are VERY few that have worse- Lincoln Town Cars, Cadillacs, older muscle cars, etc come to mind, of course, but, mid '80's Hondas are better, & that faxt pis**es me OFF- I want my Porsche to feel like what one would expect from a Porsche- I would believe it partly from the seats being worn, but, the passengers the EXACT same way, just a little firmer- actually, the condition of the seats is EXCELLENT- just no support- sit in many of the late BMWs, Acuras, Audis, etc & compare & you'll see what I mean...
Old 10-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like mine, but I'm 6'1. The only reason I want aftermarket seats is weight reduction (car not me).
Old 10-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

In any event- comfort has nothing to do w/being able to enjoy the sunroof- most people who've been in my car (& this does not apply to those much over 6") are too far forward- it's not even as big of a deal to pasengers as THEY don'[t have to reach pedals & can put their seats back as far as they like (not as much adjustment for them as for drivers for some strange reason, but...)- ANYWAY, can anyone help w/doing SOMETHING to make some pedal spacers? There are few other cars that have the SR as far back as ours- face it- the only thing I can do is get rid of the car or try to fix it so I can sit further back, as I don't want to have to hire a driver to drive my *** around... I'd feel pretty stupid & IF I WERE going to do such, I'd pick a better car for that... BUT- what I want is for someone who's had experience w/aftermarket pedal covers to shoot some CLOSE-UP pics of them showing me EXACTLY how they mount, etc & to help me come up w/a way to make a spacer b/t them & the pedal arms themselves- would like the right pedal too, one that allows for heel & toe- the pedals are a hair too far apart as is (but I guess that depends on how big of a foot you have or what type shoe you wear?) & if I'm going through the trouble, despite the fact that I don't really care for heel & toeing that much, as it doesn't really do all that much good in most fast street drving anyway, I'd STILL like the option- any input on the best pedals- AGAIN, for a STREET car- would be greatly appreciated- I emphasize street, since I need the pedals to give traction in all types of weather, etc...

BTW- I've weighed several of these seats & UNLESS you're planning to go w/non-reclinable or bucket style racing seats, then you aren't going to save very much weight- MAYBE 50lbs at the most & that's only if you do BOTH seats... full manual weigh ~39lbs, 4-way elec adj weigh ~45lbs, 8-way elec adj weigh ~49lbs, & 12-way elec adj & heated SPORT seats weigh ~40lbs- I picked some up in St Louis & there is NO WAY they weighed more than 45lbs & I had always been told (up until then) that they weighed anywhere b/t 75 & 105lbs each- no fu**ing way... Now, IF you want aftermarkets for some other reason, then, even if you only save 5lbs, then, it's just icing on the cake....

thanks...
Old 10-14-2003, 05:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the seats (Stock sport seats) & the seating position. Great for fast driving, but little low for city traffic. I could raise the seat a little, but don't want to. Everything is so perfectly placed and it is the MOST comforatble car I have driven. I am 5 ft 7 and 160lbs.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

5'8 here, and i think the driving position is excellent, and the seats are great. it was the first thing i thought as soon as i sat in there. Either your seats are bad, or you should get another car, from what your describing.
~Eyal
Old 10-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

yeah.... I've never had anything but compliments for the 944's seating... I'm 5'8 and it's exceptional...
Old 10-14-2003, 06:19 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The 924's and thus the 944's were praised for their seating. Was the only production sports car that would fit most everyone including those over six feet.

Robby you are not thinking that the NASCAR seating (up right and up close) is what is intended in a 944 are you?
Old 10-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, I thought these seats were made by Recaro on contract to porsche. I could be wrong.

I've always found them to be ideal for me. I find the lumbar support ideal. Supportive, but not intrusive. The most uncomfortable I've been in:

Ferarri 308: bizarre position
BMW 850i: horrible, HARD seats

Each to his own, of course. I just have to disagree with the assertion these are bad seats.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:09 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

5'10" here, everything is perfect in all the cars we own, the 83, original all leather non-sports(do seem a tad high), my 84 with sport seats (perfection!), and our 85.5 with 4 way adjustable standard stock cloth/vinyl seats (oooh adjustability!)

I don't have ANY idea what you're talking about. and if you adjust the seats right they're fine, shaped with just enough lumbar support, and feels very comfortable.

-Michael-

edit: FWIW i have no trouble heel-toeing with stock pedals. porsche engineered these cars very well.

Last edited by ERAU-944; 10-14-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:15 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the only production sports car that would fit most everyone including those over six feet.
I'm 6'3"-4" and fit great! I don't even sit with the seat all the way back. My seats are very comfortable. Even my mom, who has had cronic back problems and rarely thinks a seat is comfortable said something the first time she sat down.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 6'2" and my seat is not all the way back. I like the stock set up fine. I wonder if your seat rail has some french fries or pennies stuck in it, thus preventing it from adjusting all the way back.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:31 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm 5'5" and feel they're very comfortable seats and position me perfectly for assertive driving. I've done 10+ hour stints in them (with stops for gas and whatnot) and been very comfortable.

But hey... clearly these seats don't fit Robby so well. Everyone's got a different body shape. That's ok.

So can anyone help him out with some of these spacers he's loooking for?
Old 10-15-2003, 03:01 AM
gilwong
Instructor

I'm 5'7'' 155 lbs and seating position is great. I have regular fabric seats with 4 way adjust (set quite low) and 350mm Momo steering wheel. I set up the seat quite close to the pedals so I can rest my right wrist on the top of the steering wheel, just as my PCA driving instructor recommends. The only challenge in getting in and out of the car as it has been lowered.

Quick Reply: Unique project question...