Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique project question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 AM
'88-924S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, yeah, for better and worse we are among those who love these cars so much they'll do nearly anything for perfromance. And you know what, I'm pretty much one of those people, BUT I sure would enjoy a little more wind in my face. Maybe I just need to make that Carrera cab a reality, but then I'd need a 993 C2S coupe for autoX. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:59 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah- I hear ya on the "needs"- $$$$$ :-)

I'll definately post about it if I ever get something worked out- I just know there are plenty of people on here who have fabricatec MUCH more difficult things so I know someone can do it- I'm willing to pay a little to get this done too- not sure what it's worth, but...
Old 10-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Robby-

Did some thinking on your question. I think building spacers for the pedals is possible. From your request in the Autovation pedals post, I have included a picture of the int. of my car.

The pedals do not appreciably increase the thickness/spacing of the pedal relative to your body as you remove the standard rubber cover from the brake and clutch to affix them. Gas pedal cover mounts directly to gas pedal.

As for the steeringwheel, you can see the Momo spacer between the accordion cover on the steering column and the steeringwheel. This brings the wheel closer and does not, IMHO, raise the height of the steeringwheel to a unworkable level. To accomplish your desire of bringing the steeringwheel closer and lowering it into your lap would require a spacer with a design similar to a universal joint. None exist of this type as far as I know.

EDIT: Just saw your request for an angled spacer. This is a BAD idea. The spacer mounting surfaces need to be parallel and perpendicular to the steeringwheel shaft. If one of them is not perpendicular to the shaft, your steering wheel will no longer rotate co-axially with the shaft. Simple visualization: Take a bendy straw and attach a quarter to the end. This is your steeringwheel. As long as the straw is straight as you rotate the straw, everything is OK. Now put a bend in the straw and rotate. The steeringwheel is now taking an orbit about the axis of the straw. Not what you want to have in the car. As I noted above, you need to have a universal joint there to do what you are asking.

HTH,
Old 10-16-2003, 11:40 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to consider is that if you adjust the wheel and pedals further back a significant amount you may mess-up the relative position to the gear shift. One thing I love about these cars is that the gear shift is best place I have found for any production car. Perfect in relation to the wheel.

Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:48 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by M758
One thing to consider is that if you adjust the wheel and pedals further back a significant amount you may mess-up the relative position to the gear shift. One thing I love about these cars is that the gear shift is best place I have found for any production car. Perfect in relation to the wheel.

Just a thought.
Robby will need a shifter extender.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Default Shifter Extender

Like this:
Old 10-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like the shifter where it is thank you- &, since I'm not planning on moving more than 2" total (at the max) toward the back of the car, I'm not really worried about the shifter being out of place- while it is a great point (& thanks for the thought M758) I DID think about this before.... Now if I could just get rid of the horrible vibrations...

About the angled spacer- I've thought a lot about this too- I may be wrong, but, what I was thinking is, just to make it thicker at the top- say I want the wheel 1.25" closer to me- you could make the top of it 1.25" thick & the bottom, say, .75" thick- it would have to be perfectly sloped across the spacer & would have to be done w/the top (of the 6 Momo mounting bolts) top centerm, so that it wouldn't angle incorrectly- I think this would work fine- I may not be thinking correctly, but, have discussed this w/several non-Porsche poeple & all feel that it would have no bearing on the rotation. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for all the input Riff & M758- I really appreciate it...

Riff- I like those pedals- they look much better for heel & toeing. But, do you have any close-up shots that show how they actually mount- this is what I'm deperately trying to find out- do you drill holes in hte pedals, & if so, how many for each?

Also, I guess it depends on the pedal covers as to how much thickness they would add- I thought the stock ones were THIN (like 1/8") & some of the cheaper aftermarkets I've seen at Pep Boys looked much thicker- like ~3/4", but, since I'm not sure exactly how they mount, I'm not sure if any of the thickness is taken up by overlapping the pedal itself or not...

Thanks again...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:22 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Your steering wheel will wobble serverly. Like 3 or 4 inches at the rim. Don't think that is very smart.

What length pipe did you want on that shifter extender?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Your steering wheel will wobble serverly. Like 3 or 4 inches at the rim. Don't think that is very smart.

What length pipe did you want on that shifter extender?

But seriously- why would the wheel wobble? I mean, they don't wobble w/other spacers do they?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The wheel would move funny when you turn the thing.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Robby

But seriously- why would the wheel wobble? I mean, they don't wobble w/other spacers do they?
Come on Robby! You want to angle the face of the adapter. By1/2"!

What do you think will happen to a 13" diameter steering wheel when it's rotated? It's going to look like one of the wheels on the clown cars you see a circuses.

I bet the state car inspections would make you change it.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

First off, we have no state car inspectors, & second off, I don't see how they would notice... I'm going to try to attach an image here of what I mean- it's not a good drawing, but you should get the idea- FIRST, however, you have to remember- the STOCK adapter tilts the wheel upward- sort of like a bus steering wheel- they lay kind of flat- the Porsche is NO WHERE NEAR this degree, but you see what I'm talking about- the adapter makes hte wheel tilt back a little bit, so that it's not vertical- my '87 & '89 Integras had adjustable steering columns that would raise
& lower the height of the wheel- when at the bottom position, the wheel was vertical- I liked this position best & would like it for my Porsche, as it allows me to sit further down in the car & STILL have teh wheel close enough to my legs to steer w/my knees when needed, plus, I'm more comfortable w/the wheel slightly lower- I would like to lower the stock seats a little more (STILL not to their lowest position) but this would make the wheel seem even higher. ANYWAY- the stock adapter angles the wheel upward- the Momo spacers afre perfectly flat & KEEP the wheel at the same angle- if you did what I'm trying to do in the (hopefully) included pic, it shouldn't affect anything (I don't THINK)- BUT- REMEMBER- in the pic, I'm NOT a great artist- I have the angle drawn so that it will APPEAR that the wheel would point DOWNWARD- I DO NOT WANT THIS- when a spacer like this one is attached to the adapter, it would be on abackward angle, thus, making the wheel flatten out a little more- standing it more vertically- *** for making the angle correct, I'm not looking for perfection, but, if it keeps the wheel from going as high as it would normally w/spacers, it would be fine- I'm not sure about the dif b/t the top & bottom thicknesses either- would have to make measurements...

So, please look at this & keep in mind the things I've said....
Old 10-16-2003, 02:12 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Factory steering wheels are out of round -- eccentric -- NOT angled.

An angled mounting of 1/2" across it's face would have the rim of the steering wheel move in and out toward you by a good two to possibly four inches.

I'm not saying not to do this. It's your car. I'm just wondering if you realize the liability this would impart on control.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

SoCal-

I don't think Robby gets it...I tried to explain above, he'll need a universal joint as an extender for this to work. Simply beveling the Momo adapter is a recipe for disaster, unless you only drive the car in a straight line....
Old 10-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't get it, evidently, but I DO appreciate your trying to explain it- unfortunately, I cannot get my pic to upload. I'll send you a PM, Riff, & if I can get your e-mail that way, I can send the pic to you directly....

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Unique project question...