Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead spot in gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:14 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead spot in gas pedal

So I've been slowly setting up my car for drifting, konis in the rear, welded diff, racing seats, gutted just some small stuff but after I was in a competition I had his really weird pedal feel and I went home and adjusted the tremendous amount of slack out but it's still there. It's weird I'll be in gear an the pedal feels fine up to around 3000 rpm then it gets really stiff and I can move my foot with the pedal about two inches in that zone and the rpms don't move at all the hell is going on anyone have any info
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have the stock throttle cam? It has an arm that gives you a lot of leverage at low throttle, then at higher throttle gets to the round part and will be stiffer due to the smaller radius. If the cable housing is broken, the higher resistance might allow the housing to buckle, causing your unresponsiveness.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:09 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by konakat
Do you still have the stock throttle cam? It has an arm that gives you a lot of leverage at low throttle, then at higher throttle gets to the round part and will be stiffer due to the smaller radius. If the cable housing is broken, the higher resistance might allow the housing to buckle, causing your unresponsiveness.
yea I have the stock throttle cam and I've replaced my throttle cable once before and it's longer than my old one so it has a bulge in it before it goes into the throttle but it's never made a difference until now
Old 05-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

It could be a lot of things... break it down into small components... Does the gas pedal move smoothly with out hitting anything (like the carpet or sound deadening)? Does the cable (that's too long) move freely through out it's travel? Does the cam on the throttle body hit anything (like a hose clamp)? Does the butterfly move freely (or is the shaft bent?) Is the throttle switch binding up internally?

With a little sleuthing, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:32 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Van
It could be a lot of things... break it down into small components... Does the gas pedal move smoothly with out hitting anything (like the carpet or sound deadening)? Does the cable (that's too long) move freely through out it's travel? Does the cam on the throttle body hit anything (like a hose clamp)? Does the butterfly move freely (or is the shaft bent?) Is the throttle switch binding up internally? With a little sleuthing, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
well I removed a lot of the sound deadening the only thing that hits in the nut on the pivot point but it's constantly touching it, I have not checked anything with the throttle body yet so I will check that. And what throttle switch?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:14 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle switch is mounted to the bottom of the throttle body. If the throttle cam doesn't rotate smoothly, the throttle switch would be one of the things that could cause the problem.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check where the plastic pedal connects to the cable arm - the cable arm runs in a small slot in the pedal. If your floorpan is damaged then the floormounted pedal might be topping out against the cable arm and causing a toggling action.

Hard to describe - check behind the pedal and you'll see!

Quick Reply: Dead spot in gas pedal