Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sideview mirror fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003 | 11:44 AM
incessant
Racer

Angry Sideview mirror fix?

Well... somehow my pax sideview mirror is free-moving. It will move 90 degress in either direction (until it hits the car). I can lift it up, and off if not for the wires inside. It appears broken. Any way to fix it, short of superglue?
Old 10-14-2003 | 12:00 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Not glue This can be fixed, It is however a pain in the butt !

You need to remove the entire mirror and base.
You will see there is a big spring you must compress and than with a large screwdriver tighten the nut.

When you take it apart you will see what I mean, any questions let me know I have done this several times.
Old 10-14-2003 | 01:27 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Once the two mirror sections seperate the whole mirror has to be taken off the door to get to the special bolt and apply the pressure to get it to engauge the threads in the housing.

You have to use a speical metric tool to push the pins out of the white nylon connector next to the mirror transmission. Also the same 12 point bit that is used for the flywheel bolts is the same size as the splines in the special hollow bolt.

This is a Matco number WT565 that was reported to work. Has to be the metric tool and not the inch tool.

Also Lisle #56500

http://www.lislecorp.com/tools/cata...ical/elect1.htm

and AMP part # 305183

Here is a write up using a home brew compression device:

www.951motorsports.com

Also gives some extended pointers.
Old 10-14-2003 | 01:37 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same issue; it is a pain in the ***. Concede the fact that you will need to remove the entire mirror. The internal spring requires a good deal of effort.

Frankly, if you've considered the 968 mirror upgrade, NOW IS THE TIME. In hindsight, I would have done the upgrade at that time, since the PITA factor is equally high for repair or replacement...Good luck!
Old 10-14-2003 | 01:51 PM
incessant
Racer

Wow.. I am really building up to PITA repair list.
Sunroof gears, radiator, front cam seal, and now this. Yee-haw.

Thank you very much for the info. I have never considered the 968 upgrade.. but I will now!

Last edited by incessant; 10-14-2003 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Hmm... Never considered the radiator a PITA. Now the thermostat is another story!
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:02 PM
icat
Race Car

Well, if you're ever in Texas I can do the job in about 30 minutes. And that includes clean up.

This is one of those jobs where it takes FOREVER the first time, an hour or so the second, and then you're pretty much an expert and can do it in a few minutes. Steep learning curve if you know what I mean.
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:08 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by icat
Well, if you're ever in Texas I can do the job in about 30 minutes. And that includes clean up.

This is one of those jobs where it takes FOREVER the first time, an hour or so the second, and then you're pretty much an expert and can do it in a few minutes. Steep learning curve if you know what I mean.
Keith is correct, I can do the mirror job in about a half hour, with no special tools.
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:10 PM
incessant
Racer

maybe I will call you guys when I do it.. my mother lives in Tyler, so I do visit.. maybe I could bring it with me!
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:15 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Marc Gelefsky
Keith is correct, I can do the mirror job in about a half hour, with no special tools.
How do you get the pins out of the connector?

Or are you cutting and splicing the wires?
Old 10-14-2003 | 02:23 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
How do you get the pins out of the connector?

Or are you cutting and splicing the wires?
The first time I did it I cut the wires and soldered them back, out of ignorance, the second time a mechanic friend gave me that tool, so I guess you do need one special tool.

But to compress the spiring I just used a big screwdriver.

The lazy way:
Once, I had someone around to help me and I was able to do it with the wires still attached, this however can be dangerous. If the person holding the mirror while you compress the springs slips, your going to have a nice dent in your door

Quick Reply: Sideview mirror fix?