Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Mileage 924S Value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016 | 08:41 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Jeff makes a point on the revised interior layout ; for me it could also include the improved air-con and heating systems of the 85.2 series model and up thru the end of the line......

BUT, the majority of my small collection of these sports cars ARE the series one models. I love the dash layout and simplicity of line as seen inside a series one as well as that same dash in the 924S. There is a stronger bulkhead and front substructure seen from mid year '85 forward which added a bit of weight as well, but the aluminum front suspension cannot be overlooked on the series 2 cars; they have their positives as well as negatives.

I love how the aggressive 944/951 body style is a direct hint at the 924 Carrera GT form. It is the exact styling element which drew me to desire owning a 944 as I placed my order for one in 1983 soon after all the glowing reports in Car and Driver, Road and Track, AutoWeek and other enthusiast magazines revealed them. I remember the world excitement which surrounded the intro. The television ads, the people we spoke with at the track which LOVED getting theirs.

Mine came nearly a year and a half later. And I made a real serious commitment to the effort financially for the car I ordered out from a local dealer. Who had an 'in' with Porsche on obtaining special models and had convinced me to send it thru Weissach to get it prepped by the folks in Porsche's own skunkworks. Like the white one he was buying for himself with FUCHS wheels and a 30,000 dollar plus window sticker.

That Guards Red car is still in my group and although I love the simplicity of a 924 aesthetically, I do not own one yet. To my thinking the wider track, the better arrangement and assortments of wheel options on series one and two 944s, and yes, those wide shoulders, give me that little extra thrill of owning a '44 over a 924. I would still love to own a 924 SE from 1988 tho.

Besides, Porsche developed the upmarket variants of the 951 off of that platform, and not the 924. Further reinforcing my love for this body...... and I fulfilled those desires by pursuing the early '89 turbo I own.

There IS a lot to love about the 944, 951, and the following 968. They were as good of a sports car in four cylinder water cooled form from Porsche yet.

Quick Reply: Low Mileage 924S Value?