Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 944 towed tonight - Clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy My 944 towed tonight - Clutch problem?

Hi all, I loaned my car to my roommate tonight to run over to Home Depot while I went on a date with my boyfriend.

Anyway, it was towed home...would you all mind giving me suggestions on what's wrong? Clutch, clutch linkage, and/or tranny come to mind. This is what happened to him while driving my car:

"When starting from a complete stop and putting the car in gear, either first or reverse, as the clutch is slowly released and the engine is given gas, the car begins to move as it would normally._But, when the clutch reaches about the half way point, while still giving gas, a grinding noise is heard from beneath the car and itís forward movement is halted (it will continue to roll forward due to forward momentum, but not from the engines power)._When this occurred, the car was on the freeway, cruising at about 70-80 mph._The vehicle went over a bump, the type that is found when transitioning between a bridge and the regular road._Immediately after going over this bump, the car felt as if it had been put into neutral, although it was still in 5th and no amount of changing gears or giving the car gas would engage the gears and so the car was rolled to a stopping point._In the past, the car has had trouble getting into specific gears when first starting the vehicle._On these occasions, the vehicle needed to be shut off, put into the appropriate gear, and then started again (this happened to me, too).

Thanks for your help!

- Julie
Old 10-12-2003, 06:19 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem caused by a leaking clutch slave. I think an air bubble got in and ****ed the brake fluid flow. I was stuck uphill and could NOT get the car in gear, if I tried it just made a grinding noise.

I towed it to weissass and they bled the clutch. haven't had any problems since.

Try doing that first of all. if that doesn't work, maybe it's more serious!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:09 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any idea whether this is still the original clutch on your '83?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Luis, that is a strong possibility, because it still had a rubber donut in it, and the mileage was low for the age, 131K miles.

Because I had pulled the Carfax records, I strongly suspect that it had 141K, in actuality, because the Odometer froze two years ago at 131K.

Rich, it's worth a shot; what's over the counter I can mess with tomorrow? Being a holiday weekend sucks for me.

What I can tell you is that I was told when I first got the car that the clutch was deteriorating, and that it could last a few months, or up to 18 months; so it could also be the clutch center blew, due to the rubber donut finally biting it.

- Julie

Last edited by Devia; 10-12-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Then it sounds like your rubber centered clutch has gone into "limp mode." I believe this feature allows you to continue to drive the car for a few more miles, although the shifting quality is compromised like you describe.

Unlike the spring-centered clutches, unfortunately time becomes just as much of a factor as mileage with regard to the rubber centered clutch deteriorating.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Well, if it was the original rubber donut clutch, that meant it lasted for over 20 years, I'm impressed!

- Julie
Old 10-12-2003, 11:16 AM
MartinT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Julie,

I've been looking into clutch issues as my clutch pedal sinks to the floor. Looking for info to help my non-pcar mechanic to bleed the clutch, if you remove the starter, you will find the clutch slave cylinder, which has a bleed valve on it. You need to raise the rear of the car ...more details on Clark's Garage

Hope that helps

Martin
Old 10-12-2003, 01:24 PM
JoakimJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
After the some trackdriving with my 951 90, the clutch seemed to **** up. I couldn´t shift gears, and the car was moving forward with the clutch-pedal down. The problem occurred when a small spring from the clutch had loosened from it´s place and fell in-between the flywheel and the pressureplate. Which is a verry common problem on the 944.

http://home.swipnet.se/playboy/clutch3.jpg
Old 10-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

I guess I will find out, when we start messing with my car this week. Well, I congratulated my roommate on blowing the clutch, told him that few people ever get to experience blowing a clutch on a Porsche in the fast lane on a freeway!

Yes, I did thank him for getting her to safety, and bringing her home in one piece.

Just need to figure out how I'm getting to work now...

- Julie
Old 10-12-2003, 08:22 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Julie. BNased upon what a new clutch entails. It would definitely be wise to first bleed it, and then adjust the linkage. That MIGHT fix it.

Otherwise clutch job, and I hope your comics are selling, not a cheap adventure.

But with the bump makes me think linkage.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Sid, it was a normal bump, but I did notice the linkage was wiggly when we changed the leather and rubber boots, respectively.

Um...nothing has sold, because I've had bad publishers...I'm going to put merchandise up for sale, and try and make some money to self publish. Needless to say, I'm at one of the lowest points in my life, even my mechanic is injured, so I'm up a creek without a paddle big time, can't even get to my part-time job.

I'm going to have to do the clutch myself, with hopefully some others' help. Because I just dropped a ton of money at the Dentist, I am flat broke.

I need car to make money, and vice versa.

If I did a calendar of myself in some of my cool outfits with some Porsches for 2004, do you think people would buy it? I'm running out of ideas here, guys...sucks being me right now.

- Julie
Old 10-12-2003, 09:37 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Do the calender. You and the girls of Rennlist.

To bad about the damn Geneva.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

BTW if you have printed material (comics) contact these guys http://www.newbury.com/ or www.newburycomics.com/

Largish chain of music and comics here in the northeast. Pretty good distribution with one contact, rather than chasing a bunch of smaller entities.

Very popular around here as well.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Sid. I actually feel sorry for you guys about a guy posing as a girl; that's just sad, but at least the girl's pic shows she's for real, somewhere.

Anyway, I'm looking into selling issues online, in CD format, then using the money to print a collection, and possibly do that on demand. I have been put in contact with Amazon, so something's got to work; I keep telling myself I've done it before, I'll do it again.

Thanks for your support! I'll check the linkage and stuff tomorrow, so keep yer fingers crossed!

Oh, if I'm wrong about the Trolls, I will apologize publically. Yes, I shouldn't have tried to out him on my own, just got sick and tired of all of us getting played...and yes, there was a pattern to it.

- Julie
Old 10-13-2003, 02:18 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

If you need webspace and pipe time let me know. I have plenty of spare.

I can help a little with web design, but not with the online purchasing stuff.

Quick Reply: My 944 towed tonight - Clutch problem?