Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:03 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!

Lookie what I found last night when I got back to work. Keyless entry and ignition, just need a screwdriver.

Anyway, a while back the topic of how hard our cars are to steal came up and the consensus was that our ignitions can't be broken to start the car, well that's not the case.

Had I not removed the DME relay all I would have found would have been an oil spot. Also the new trend with car thieves is to pop the locks out of the door handles too.

So if the pics load, do I need an entire steering column or is the ignition hard to replace?

I took the pics with my phone I'll expand them in a bit.

[IMG]

Last edited by triscadek; 10-11-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:05 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow...
Old 10-11-2003, 01:07 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!

Originally posted by triscadek
Had I not removed the DME relay all I would have found would have been an oil spot.
WOW! What made you pull the relay? Coincidence, do it every time?

Lucky!
Old 10-11-2003, 01:10 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Jeez. I had the same thing though last year. The ignition is easy enough to replace if they haven't damaged the alloy of the steering column. The lock is easy enough to do also. They didn't damage the door as 'nicely' as they have done yours too!

My insurance company almost wrote mine off though as the gits who did it also stuck a screwdriver though the dash, which then needed replacing.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:15 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes! Did they take anything? Looks like the radio is still there. All this talk of theft makes me want to install a hidden kill switch as a precaution.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:17 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

That's tough that your steering column was butchered. On my car they bent out the top of the door, then used a clothes hanger to pull up the door lock plunger.

The dme relay is tough to pull on a early dash car.

Would pulling the fuel pump fuse (or swapping in a blown glass-type fuse, which is less obvious) accomplish the same thing? I know that if the dme relay was gone, they are truly SOL unless they have jumper wires, but I would think that unless a thief had a multimeter, leaving a blown fuse in the fuel pump fuse holder would work too. That fuse is much easier to access in an early dash car.

Kevin
Old 10-11-2003, 01:27 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive a truck and am gone 1 to 5 days at a time and have been having a feeling lately and always pull the relay as I park in a somewhat trashy neighbor hood.

Pulling/replacing a fuel pump fuse would accomplish the same thing but it may try to start with a little pressurized fuel in the rail.

All that was stolen was a small maglite that I leave for car burglars and some tools in the glovebox for them to work with.

The lesson here is that our cars can be stolen in less than 5 minutes without an alarm or don't start system, they cranked it until the battery died.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The DME is rough on the early dash... Right o Kev.

I keep a breaker bar and a 23MM socket in my car. I take my steering wheel with me if I'm gonna be a while or it's out of sight.. (Like a movie.)

seems weird, but it works.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:49 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

I've got an alarm with ignition cutoff, they are actually quite easy to install. But since I have been disconnecting/connecting the battery late at night while working on the car, I've disconnected the alarm temporarily to avoid waking up the neighbors.

Kevin
Old 10-11-2003, 01:52 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Chris_924s
The DME is rough on the early dash... Right o Kev.
That relay was not meant to be installed/removed probably more than 10 times in the life of the car. Every connector has a rated number of connect/disconnect cycles before it fails. I would be afraid of pushing the female receptacles for the relay blades out of the back of the relay panel.

Originally posted by Chris_924s
I keep a breaker bar and a 23MM socket in my car. I take my steering wheel with me if I'm gonna be a while or it's out of sight.. (Like a movie.)

seems weird, but it works.
Remember the "Benzi-box" style radios that had the padded nylon carrying cases?

Maybe we need a similar bag to carry a steering wheel around! We may be onto a product idea here! Call Travis!!!

Kevin
Old 10-11-2003, 03:22 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Semi OT--With all this talk of almost-stolen cars, I really wanna know what my factory alarm does. The manual doesn't say squat.

I have the alarm with the blinking LED's in the door lock buttons...anyone know if there's an ignition kill, or what??

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:36 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I've been thinking about another keyed switch under the change (ash) tray.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Smart move to remove the relay on a daily basis, but it can harm the socket over time.

Without giving away all my security secrets, I'll toss a few tips your way.

1. If you have a factory alarm, use it, every time. If it is not functional, fix it. Open the alarm box and check solder connections, since that is a common failure point. (Mine was as well) If the factory alarm is activated, such as the door opening, it will not allow power to the DME. Plus... the horn for it is pretty damn loud.

2. Kill Switch. Very easy, very effective. If you splice in to the coil ground from the DME with a switch, it will not run. Period. The coil will not get signal to fire. A well placed switch, such as a factory mirror swith installed into a blank on the dash or console, makes it blend in like stock. A thief has a lot of buttons to push before he can find it.

It takes quite an effort to steal our cars. With all the methods combind, nearly impossible. (Until Guido rolls it out on a flat bed, but that's why you have good insurance.)

Hope this helps. Sorry about the car, you should be able to repair it with minimal trouble.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:17 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

This may be a bit Hollywood, I was watching The Transporter the other day. He had a digital key pad that unlocked the ignition ability of the car. This would tie in nicely with a kill switch relay tied into the dme coil ground. Is this just a Hollywood thing or does this actually exist? How hard would this be to actually make?..
Old 10-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by billybones
This may be a bit Hollywood, I was watching The Transporter the other day. He had a digital key pad that unlocked the ignition ability of the car. This would tie in nicely with a kill switch relay tied into the dme coil ground. Is this just a Hollywood thing or does this actually exist? How hard would this be to actually make?..
I had a keypad in my GTI back in 1988!

Quick Reply: Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!