Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 05:13 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Table for 3--me, my wife, and my steering wheel"???
Old 10-15-2003, 09:58 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, it's official--My alarm doesn't do a thing!

Do I need a new alarm unit, brain, or what? My LED's work--but that's all. Should I have the factory alarm removed, and replace it with an aftermarket alarm??
Old 10-15-2003, 10:03 AM
MAS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, even with some kind of a kill system, a car thief can still do hundreds of dollars worth of damage to the doors/doorlocks/windows... the steering wheel, and last but not least, the ignition. By the time he's figured out that he can't start the car, he's already inside with his screwdriver in the ignition.

-MAS
Old 10-15-2003, 10:11 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hundreds of dollars is nothing! Just ask Tom R! As long as they don't get the car, and don't wreck it, fixing a window, or the ignition is nothing compared to the hastle of dealing with a stolen car!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:34 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I have an aftermarket alarm for my car that I got off EBay for $50. It has the dual stage shock sensor, starter kill, keyless entry (useless in my car without power locks,)two remote controls, and a bunch of other features. I don't know how much it will cost to fix the factory alarm, but if it costs too much, it might be worth considering an aftermarket one. Since my alarm was discontinued, here is the alarm that I am going to install in my mom's car http://7925.adahost.com/computer/item11401.html It is similarily equiped, just five dollars cheaper than what I paid for mine.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

my 85 rx7 had motion sensors, glass sensors, ignition kill, hood lock, and something else.

it took less than seven minutes to steal the car from the corner of waverly and waverly place in NYC on a warm april night in 1990.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:29 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, if they WANT it, they will take it.

I just like the idea of having a DME kill when using the factory alarm. If I can get the factory alarm to work again, I'll be comfortable enough.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:54 AM
MAS
Racer

"Hundreds of dollars is nothing! "

It's a lot to me. And if you live in some areas, you can have this hassle several times per year.

As some people have already pointed out, a pro who really wants your car will be able to take it given the opportunity. However, most car thieves (unless you own a very valuable car) will take what they can get. Which means they'll take the car that is the least hassle to steal. Steering wheel "club" locks are hassles for the quick thief.

-MAS
Old 10-15-2003, 12:12 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't mean to say hundreds of dollars is nothing. I meant that it's nothing COMPARED to losing your car completely.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:19 PM
MAS
Racer

"I didn't mean to say hundreds of dollars is nothing. I meant that it's nothing COMPARED to losing your car completely."

Yeah, I understood that... I was just trying to make a slighly different point.

Losing a car that is hard to replace is even worse ... ie: S2

-MAS
Old 10-15-2003, 12:29 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy K and Z, what's to stop them from popping the door lock like they did on mine and they turn off the alalrm without even knowing what they did?
And on mine the locksmith said that they should be able to gut that alarm switch lock like they did my ignition and use a screwdriver?

On my break in they weren't trying to steal a Porsche, but simply joyride and really get a ride somewhere I think since they also tore up the column on an El Camino but didn't get it either. For this type of thief and the guy after the stereo, smash and grab type, I think that a factory alarm esp. with a flashing led would stop them.

This being my 2nd break-in in about a year I want to keep the ameteur OUTSIDE of my car and that looks like a dual stage shock and proximity sensors is what my type of thief needs to be deterred. In Tulsa Ok. I really doubt that your avg. punk could really sell any Porsche parts without knowing somebody looking for them.

Now, in the case of Tom R. or Perry, where they would be specifically after THAT car you,'re talking something totally different.

How about this?
http://www.newsales.com/alarm/autotaser.htm
Old 10-15-2003, 12:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

That Autotazer looks like a Ninja would use it to shock people before chopping off their heads!

Quick Reply: Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!