Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick thought on the kill switches - I would rig something that either cuts power to the ECU or fuel pump. If you just kill the coil signal, the car won't start but you'll be flooding the cylinders with gas. This is incredibly bad for the engine because it washes the oil off the cylinder walls. And if a thief cranks it until the battery is dead, you'll probably have plenty of gas in your oil by the time he (or she - don't want to be sexist here) is done trying to start it.

As far as a good place to hide a switch, I was thinking about using the horn contacts. Because the last, and I mean last, thing a thief is ever going to do is honk the horn. They'll play with every other switch but I bet they'll never honk the horn even though it's right in front of them. Which makes the switch very easy for you to toggle. Just a quick tap on the horn pad and the car starts.

You'd have to design it so if you actually wanted to honk the horn it would honk but not shut the car off. Shouldn't be too hard to rig up though.

Bryan
Old 10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm. If I lock my doors with the key, I can open the hatch with a key...no alarm?? Maybe my alarm is messed up?? I've NEVER heard it go off.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys are way to drastic. Take the coil wire and I doubt they carry one that fits our car. If you are still not sure, disconnect the starter connector above the brake booster. If you still want to make sure it does not start, disconnect the reference sensor at the intake manifold. Anyone who can fix these things I will bow to and are relatively easy disconnects. There is a ground by the brakelights where the fuel pump grounds. If you put a switch there and place the switch under the license plate, you can kill the fuel pump easily. Come on guys, with all these no start problems on our cars, lets get creative......
Old 10-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, I forgot the AFM. Disconnect that and they will be really puzzled.....
Old 10-13-2003, 04:47 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not sure what the alarm parameters are on these systems. The one on my S2 has gone off when opening the door from the inside when locked. Not sure if/how it disables the engine, I would imagine it does.

BTW, rigging a kill switch is super easy on the airbag cars. It's in the FAQs.

Regards Al
Old 10-13-2003, 05:19 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a local car audio shop install one on my car a while back...the car doesn't turn over at all, but the gauges do come on.
I wonder what they hooked it up to...never thought to check!
Erich
Old 10-14-2003, 09:58 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy - I too have the fancy S2 Alarm - but it's not quite working correclty.

When I manage to set it off - it does honk the horn and needs the key in the ig to turn it off.

Do your led's flash when armed? My LED only illiminates on the drivers side and stay solid - then the fuse blows after awhile. I'm thinking this is related to my passenger-side power locks not working either.

Thoughts anyone?

RK
Old 10-14-2003, 10:01 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

My LED's work. Thing is, when I am in the car, and press the lock button, the LED's go on. When I pop the hatch, no alarm.

Your solid LED's sounds like a short. I guess we both have to bring our cars to an alarm place. I'd like to get my factory alarm working!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah - I talked to an alarm place Friday - wanted a keyless entry system added - but they said they'd prefer I get the stock locks and alarm working BEFORE they'd add keyless!

So I guess I'm on my own. I did notice a micro-switch on the hatch release this weekend - maybe check to see if that is working?

Has anyone installed keyless AND kept thier stock alarm system?

RK
Old 10-14-2003, 10:10 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Andy, if you want to be sure why don't you roll the windows down..lock the car...pull the lock up from the outside, get in the car and then try to start the car.

I can definetely open the hatch on my car while the alarm is armed, I dont rememeber if closing it sets off the shock sensor (if these cars have one) or not though.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
My LED's work. Thing is, when I am in the car, and press the lock button, the LED's go on. When I pop the hatch, no alarm.

Your solid LED's sounds like a short. I guess we both have to bring our cars to an alarm place. I'd like to get my factory alarm working!
The hatch/ trunk can be opened on 944's without the alarm going off (as long as you have a key)

Try to pop the hood when its locked. or opening the doors from the inside.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:14 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what's to prevent a thief from breaking the window, pulling one of the door lock buttons up, and driving away?? When I pull the button up, the LED's stop flashing.

Very confusing. I guess it's better than having the alarm go off every 5 minutes!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Z-man
Race Director

AndyK:
Upon further thought, I believe this is what happened when my alarm when off at Pocono:
The hatch was opened, and I locked the door with a key, immediately setting off the alarm.

The other time my alarm when off was when I was having trouble with my sunroof motor/relay: the door locks are on the same circuit, so problems with your sunroof can effect your alarm system.

My suggestion: try to trigger the alarm any way you can. (Without damaging your car, of course!) If your LED's are blinking, your alarm is most likely working, you just have to figure out how to trigger it!

-Z-man.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll give it a try tonight.

I assume any time the alarm does go of, it can be de-activated by turning the key in the ignition??
Old 10-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by AndyK
I'll give it a try tonight.

I assume any time the alarm does go of, it can be de-activated by turning the key in the ignition??
Actually, that's what I thought, but no! The alarm was going off, I put the key in the ignition and tried to start it. (That's when I found out there's an immobilizer integrated into the alarm system).

I had to lock/unlock the door in order to stop the alarm.

-Z.

Quick Reply: Theft attempt /aka/************!!!!!!