Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 exhaust bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:04 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, you do NOT have to remove the exhaust to remove the starter. There are two 17 mm bolts to the right side of the heat shield (as you look at it from the rear) these only need to be loosened a little, there may be a tab on the heat shield that is secured by one of the bolts that fastens the torque tube to the bell housing, there are two 8mm nuts at the back of the starter, remove these and you can pull off the heat shield. It will be much easyer to remove the exhaust once the engine is out of the car.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MHT, the exhaust has to unbolt somewhere or how is the engine going to come out? I guess you are saying unbolt it from the cat forward? It is going to make my life that much easier if that is all I have to unbolt!
Old 10-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Got the bolts out, took about 1.5 hrs and only my two hands. There is a tab held on the top the the heat shield I cant seem to get anything in there to turn that bolt loose. (BTW, how much life would be cut by not replacing the shields? The car has 195K and the starter is OE. If it last 40K without the shileds it is worth it!). I would like to reiterate, the exhaust on this car is the biggest PITA of any I have ever dealt with. I will have like 10-12 hours into reemoving the engine and I bet more than half will be exhaust removal! All Ihave left is to unbolt the exhaust from the turbo, drop the starter, remove bellhousing bolts.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 951 exhaust bolts

Originally posted by Matt H
Since some German sadist put the exhaust together on these cars I come to my buddies for help. Here is the problem. I am dropping the motor (87 951) and to remove the starter a number of heat shields need to be removed. One of which cannot be removed without the removal of the southern portion of the header. This thing has two triangular shaped areas held togther by 6 bolts (3 or 4 of which can be relatively easily removed). My question is....how in the hell do you remove the ones that are almost touching each other?????? All I have left is to remove the exhaust so I can drop the starter and undo the bellhousing. Anyone in the DFW area who wants to help me remove these bolts is welcome to come by at any time. After about 1 hour, I got a little pissy so I just walked away. I am going to give it another shot tonight if I get and answer here.
I dont know if someone already told you, haven't read all the responses but you dont need to remove the cross over pipe!!the heat shield doesn't have holes for those bolts, its got slits, so you can undo the bolts a couple turns and pull the heatshield off. Hope you read this in time...
Old 10-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

You have to remove the 17mm bolt on the top tab that attaches to the bellhousing, almost impossible to turn.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:12 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

just wind up on them and they will break.Tightening direction

Quick Reply: 951 exhaust bolts