Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory? original windscreen decal

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016 | 03:41 PM
eharvin
AutoX

Old 04-06-2016 | 05:48 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I love the interior. Very nice!
Old 04-06-2016 | 06:28 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

THAT's the tool bag ! Beautiful
And, the tire pump.

Am so sorry about the multiple speaker holes in the door panels , but do NOT despair, as the material is still available to make it O.E, if you desire. It is just VERY expensive. If you do the panel repair, at ALL cost retain the top door caps with PORSCHE script intact. It is very rare and desirable and disappeared entirely from availability sometime around the 2300 serial number sequence or earlier.

As to the proper items as noted on early cars, it is great to see that prop rod slot ! And the other little things underhood that differentiate these early cars from the others. I love the Pasha strobe interior ! It looks great except for the seam pull which a good upholstery shop fellow can remedy.

Any photos of the interior headliner and surrounding areas around the Webasto Sunroof ? What did they use for headliner ? Did the old fabric get utilized, which was fitted on the sunroof delete models and just get cut out, or did the car receive panels in plastic like all the factory coded #650 cars got ?

Wonderful good news about the preservation of the car in the state of entirety it is in, as most cars in North America seem to not have been allowed the same good fortune. Many are long gone, many have been cast to the wayside and forgotten. There was a period of time I remember well back in the late 80s and early 90s where this fabric received severe derision and many were lost to unappreciative owners.

I have ALWAYS personally loved this interior and thought it 'beyond the pale' so to speak. SO retro 70s and 80s with that style quickly falling from grace and getting hated when it should have been retained as important history. As a part of Porsche lore. And truly deserving of the love it should have gotten.

Keep what you have with the falling apart cardboard box around the pump/compressor and eyes peeled for a good replacement. More forgotten lore of a time past and now fully coveted.
Old 04-06-2016 | 07:00 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I noticed a few other things I would like to ask about.
The interior cassette / coin box holder. Many of the earlier cars do NOT have them and those that do may have been added later. It was thought by many the option to add it came a bit later and in '84 it was a standard item.
My own car # 2406 built in July of '82 does not have it and never did.

Your windshield is an 'open channel' design on the sides as well, correct ? True of all '82 / 3 - 944s. The full rubber filled windshield came along in '84 and then was a smooth flush fit for the '85.2 cars and later. Some say they have them in late '85.1 series as well...... there seems to be many changes to all of these models as time progressed.

Do you have a metal fuel filler door flap as well ? Later cars came with plastic fuel doors. Same shape but less prone to breaking off if pushed back too far and cracking of the metal occurred.

How about the metal grommet in your hatch for the delete plug instead of the rear wiper ? Is it a rough gropple type surface in black, a type of textured metal surface or is it smooth metal with a somewhat anodized appearance fading to light grey or black. Later cars have even been seen with plastic plugs with a smooth and stippled surface applied. I have cars with delete plugs with all these surfaces on them, as it appears there were numerous suppliers and multiple looks to this little detail. If the rubber dries out and fails you will have stained carpeting or a ruined compressor in that wheel well area if stowed there.

I have to ask about the header panel as well, does it appear it's welded in place with numerous spot welds or screws? Which, if screws, would indicate a replacement panel and MANY, MANY 944s have had new header panels replaced with the newer ones which came in Series 2 cars...... accidents seem unavoidable.
All original paint yet ? Wow ! ! That is wonderful. NOT many cars retain this today, even with lower km/mileages on them. Original patina is highly desirable. Wonderful stuff.

GREAT 944 ~
Old 04-06-2016 | 07:05 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

What is that black oval box in front of the battery box with wires coming out of it ?

An immobilizer ?
Old 04-06-2016 | 10:23 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Eharvin,

Great pics of your car! May I ask for a huge favor; would you please take a few close-up pics of the air pump out of the bag? I found a unit and want to confirm that it's correct. Thanks! I'm also curious on that black oval box under the hood. Also, it's interesting that the vacuum reservoir, normally found to the left of the blower fan, is missing and I don't see the charcoal canister hose running into the inside fender wall. In fact (correct me if I'm wrong), it appears that your car doesn't have some (or all) of the emissions hardware that was required in the States. Perhaps it was a U.S. thing...
Old 04-06-2016 | 11:25 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Paul
Go to post # 193 to see photos of this air pump/ tire inflator on the thread on this forum:

"1983 Porsche 944 Garage find. ( 23 year hibernation )"

It appears as tho both the euro pump as seen on the forum thread we are now on, and the one in my photos on the link I noted above are the exact same pumps, with the exception the pump here in eharvin's car has a 911 part number, not the ZVW number we got on our North American cars.

All my series one cars have this exact same pump as the one I photo'd on the other thread. I am thinking the one here is either a pump from a 911 or they used the same one for both cars in Europe. I may be wrong..... but my thoughts are along these lines.
Old 04-08-2016 | 05:37 AM
eharvin
AutoX

The speakers are a bummer I know. I think for the time being I'll get some plain black plastic grilles for them (more similar to the factory ones) and it might be a bit less offensive!

The box a few of you spotted just in front of the battery is the alarm system. I believe it's just the siren unit but not bothered to investigate yet.

As far as the emissions stuff this gets interesting.

The missing bits mentioned may be only on USA cars. This car (and all up to 1984 in Euro-spec from what I've read so far please correct me if wrong) was originally delivered with 161HP (163PS) and no catalytic converter whatsoever.

To remain compliant a few years later with German emissions laws and be useable in green zones (such as intercity), this car was fitted with a Porsche G-Kat which is what you see.

Many 80s cars have had this done back in the 90s otherwise they couldn't get the green emissions sticker... no sticker would have limited where it can be driven as well as higher tax.

I'd imagine the factory-aftermarket upgrade CAT and an American CAT would be somewhat different. Also we have the good fortune over here of not losing so many horses.

I read recently that with the fuel at the time, the German CAT brought power down to around 150-155HP. But apparently that's only according to using the fuel available at the time in Germany, best of which would have been Super-Leadfree 95 Octane.

Modern unleaded fuel (98 Octane) only available since the early 1990s and is said to bring the power back up to near the original 163PS (161HP).

This is what I've read from a few sources over here in Germany, if someone has more thorough data about this I'd be happy to know more about it.

Suppose that topic is good for a whole other thread!
Old 04-08-2016 | 10:36 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Just one other thing:

make sure and pivot that coil wire so it faces downward with the curve of wire facing towards the bottom of the car.
As pictured it will be grabbed repeatedly by the light mechanism as it rotates and abrade the wire or short it out, thus causing ignition problems or a total burn thru on the wire cover itself and total coil wire failure.
There is supposed to be a small plastic wire tie from Porsche which clips around the coil wire and keeps it positioned away from the mechanism. On most cars it is missing and when changing oil or working on the car, the coil wire gets pulled and positioned incorrectly.
Old 04-08-2016 | 11:14 AM
vongeiss89
Advanced

Beautiful car! I'm impressed to see guards red shine that bright 35 years later!
Old 04-08-2016 | 12:41 PM
eharvin
AutoX

Thanks for the coil wire tip!

Regarding the paint it seems to have had a superficial exterior respray in the correct "Indischrot" at some point long ago, mainly on roof, hood, hatch... my guess would be it's likely to have had a touchup whenever the sunroof was done.

There's certainly never been accident damage so that's the only reason I can see.

But all the paint under the hood, inner doors, inner lids, wheel wells, all floors etc. is original and in good shape.

Going back to a few questions before: I don't have a delete plug because there IS a rear wiper as per option code sticker. Same goes for the cassette/coin box it is on the option code sticker as well.
Old 04-08-2016 | 08:02 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

ah ha

Of course I now see your wiper.... it's just that it is lying horizontal and a bit out of view in the darker part of that one photo.

Yes, the wiper should stand totally perpendicular with the hatch length, not horizontal as in the photo. Sometimes the inner center of the attachment hub (steel) will wear the softer metal (al.) from the inside and cause a malfunction of the wiper, a kind of herky-jerky motion, or a drooping down to a position less than straight up. Simply remove the wiper ( nut is under the plastic cap which flips up on the stem/wiper portion of the blade), clean off the aluminum shavings on the stem of the motor which sticks thru the glass ( a small wire brush or battery post cleaner brush works great ), retighten the nut and it will last a long time.

Or even LONGER if one does not permit the wiper to wipe on a dry glass, placing a strain on that attachment point, thus 'coring' out the center of that wiper hub.
Old 04-10-2016 | 09:11 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

MGJ,

Thanks for the link.

Patrick
Old 04-10-2016 | 09:19 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Just looked at the post; it appears that I do have the correct pump!!!! No box but the clam shell is in perfect shape and it runs great. Question: What is the knurled brass **** with the small O-ring for?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm pretty excited about locating the pump.
Old 04-10-2016 | 11:06 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pfarah7
MGJ,

Thanks for the link.

Patrick
No problem

sorry I called you Paul.

Quick Reply: factory? original windscreen decal