Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Frank944S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@bloodraven:
Your 951 looks beautiful with its Fuchs-wheels and I like the color also.
I don´t think it looks like having been neglected in any way.

Besides from that: a friend of mine keeps making fun of me, telling a "real" Porsche has the engine in the back.

Guess what he drives: a 100HP grocery-getter BMW 316i compact.

So what the heck are those peoplet hinking, playing the 911-snob without even having one?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Bloodraven,

Great post, and your 951 sure looks nice to me!

A friendly reminder to all: Not all 911 owners are snobs who don't appreciate the 944 series
Old 10-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

So far I have noticed that every people who often make the "the 944 is the poor man's Porsche" observation are the ones who actually cannot afford a car half its value.

Enough said.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Frank944S
Intermediate

Marc you´r perfectly right!

Mostly people who drive a >insert name of random econobox< will tell you what a real Porsche is. Because those are the experts. (lol)

I didnt intend to say that i think all 911 owners are snobs, sry if it sounded like that.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:05 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

First - I'm sorry to hear that you have to make regular doctor's app'ts and pay for meds.

Second - I went to lunch with a guy from my office and I drove. He has a brand new Volvo. I took off from a light (barely pushing it, but enough to get some boost ) and he interrupted himself to say, "Egad!" He was flabbergasted at what the car could do. Last night I saw a commercial for the new Lincoln LS. It was driving over a bridge and it showed a wake in the water behind the car. They touted its ability to do 0-60 in 6.42 seconds or some such crap. Our 17 yr old "not a real Porsches" do it in less than 6 with less engine size. No one else is engineering 4 bangers to do what our cars do. They are still some of the fastest 4 bangers in existence, and get GREAT gas mileage doing it! Only Porsche could have engineered that kind of longstanding legacy into a car. Tell'em to go enjoy their Honda.

Lastly - To hear that from another 944 owner is ludicrous. He is essentially saying, "I'm better than you and you shouldn't own a car like that." That has nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the driver. You've already wasted waaaaaaaay too much time on this guy. Give some of the guys here his email address; I'm willing to bet they'd LOVE to "welcome" him to 944 ownership
Old 10-10-2003, 01:27 PM
who1
Advanced

"Keep on keepin' on" as they say. If they didn't think it was worth building the 944 and putting "PORSCHE" on the hood, then they wouldn't have done it in the first place. But they did. It's a Porsche. You have one, which is a lot more than 99% of the people can say. It's probably the best all-around Porsche to have. At one time the 951 was THE fastest Porsche you could buy. Let those jokers that talk that trash eat some. I have a 944 because they looked cool when I was growin' up. Besides, that guy on "Falcon Crest" had one!
Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't worry about how the car looks to others.
I just sold a beautiful white 85.5 944 and bought a '89 944S2 that from the outside has seen better days. It has a few dents and dings and the paint is pretty well toasted. I could give a sh** what anybody else thinks of it. It will out brake, out accellerate, and out handle 80% of the boring econoboxes and SUV's out there and it only cost me $4800. I'll probably spend 8 or 9 thousand bringing it back to it's former glory but that's still less money than a soul-less Accord or Camry.

With the right mods your 951 has the ability to humble many expensive super cars. How many "poor man's" cars can do that.
Enjoy your "poor man's Porsche". You'll have the last laugh.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:56 PM
SEAN MCMANUS
Instructor

Screw the stupid ones who simply do not understand the pure joy of owning a Porsche no matter what model
If Stuttgart deemed it good enough to put a crest on them it's a REAL porsche!!!

Sean
Old 10-10-2003, 03:36 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

bloodraven: it takes all kinds to make the world go round. what's important is that you are making it in todays world, and that you enjoy what you drive immensely. i'll toss another vote for the manning quote 'you are not what you own'. while it can influence your life, it is not you in any way, the car is nothing without its driver. so keep on truckin, and enjoy that car! i'm sure people here will help you whenever they can. in fact, for cost of shipping, i'll send you a windsheild washer pump just let me know your address and i'll let you know how much it costs when i ship it.

beautiful car, man
-Michael-
Old 10-10-2003, 04:01 PM
phantom309
Racer

There are people around who can find something negative to say about anything, no matter how good it is.

I got that "It's not a real Porsche" line a lot before I got mine home. But those same people couldn't take their eyes off it when they finally saw it. It's sexy, it's fun and you don't see them everyday. The styling has held up exceptionally well, too - I remember being blown away by the looks of the 350z when it first came out, after a year it just looks heavy and dumpy to me. But I never get tired of looking at 944s.

Slow? Yeah, but who cares? A Ferrari GTO is slow by today's standards. So are most of those muscle cars from the 60s (stock, anyway). My WRX will haul *** by anyone's standards, but it sits in my driveway most days because the Porsche is more fun to drive. I can't even say why, it just is.

To be honest I don't really think of it as being a real Porsche either - most of them were built by grumbling Turkish guest workers on an Audi assembly line. I didn't know that fact when I bought mine...but you know what? It's every bit as good a car as it was when I thought it was built in Zuffenhausen.

It is what it is. If it makes you happy, enjoy it. If it doesn't, there are lots of other great cars out there.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:55 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny. Nobody would think of telling the owner of a '57 Chevy Belaire that they own "a poor man's GM car"? Just because the 944 was not as expensive as the 911, doesn't mean it's a bad car! And I am guessing there were MANY rich guys in '87 buying the 944 Turbo because it was "a Corvette killer", not because they couldn't afford a 911.

The rear-engine only crowd is made up of ignorant people! There are rear engined Porsches, and mid-engined Porsches, and front engined Porsches. Period!!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:57 PM
951Badger
Racer

I love when a 911 carrera or sc owner says my 951 is not a "real" Porsche. I say "so you're admitting my "Audi" can smoke you?

Hmmmm...
Old 10-10-2003, 05:54 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944s are REAL Porsches. They are awesome. Cheap/slow or not, they look expensive and fast, and handle as good or better then most production cars to date! Love it.. care for it as much as possible.

Rare are the nay sayers, ignore them. Reply, "Of couse, you must be beyond Porsches in your wealth!"

Or, "Isn't it great? What do you drive just for fun in the summer? (or weekends)" Usually will shut someone up quick.

People who call it a poor man's porsche are jealous they bought a overpriced japanese car versus and bargain of the century on a $40K Porsche.

How stupid does it sound that someone is laughing at the fact that you got a STEAL of a deal?
"HAHA! You paid 5K for a 40K sports car! DUMMY! "...right.

I think not.. that makes no sense. They are idiots plain and simple. Ignore and be happy.

I was pulling out of my parking garage leaving work one day, and the guy (20 ish) at the ticket counter complimented the car... asked if it was a turbo.. (which it isn't), then told me how he built a Fiero up and supercharged it and got it to 12 second quater miles.. I told him :

"You got me beat."

He replied, "Who cares? You have a Porsche."

The secret pride insued

P.S. Next timea 911 owner snobs you.. say "Ohhh, you are one of THOSE people. "
That will bug them.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:02 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Yeah, bloodraven, let us know what parts you need - if we've got them, maybe we can all pitch in for you...
Old 10-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Sach951
Pro

You have my utmost respect: You drive the _damn best_ Porsche ever built, despite the odds being stacked against you I know a guy that recently turned down a 911, though he had the money, as he considered it inferior to his 944 Turbo

And since when did your car look ill-cared for? It's beautiful

Cheers,
Sach

Quick Reply: For Richer or Poorer: The 944 Story (Long)