Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2/Turbo Fog Lamp Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003 | 09:17 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default S2/Turbo Fog Lamp Bulb?

One of my fog lamps stopped working.

I hope someone can tell me if the bulb is replaceable and if so what bulb should be used.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2003 | 09:54 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

It is very easy to replace. If it is the fog bulb what you want is a 55 watt H3 bulb. Some guys use a 100 watt bulb but then the light doesn't work very well as a fog. 100 watts is so bright that it really lights up the fog water dropplets and the light backscatters into your eyes and ruins night vision. So go 55 watt.

Just remember not to touch the bulb glass with your bare finger. The finger oil will create a hot spot and crack the glass.
Old 10-09-2003 | 10:34 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

HI Michael,

ok, IceShark is right however.

let me tell you a little story of how it took me 3 hours to replace the side light bulb, which is in the same unit.....

The quick way is:

1> remove the 2 screws holding the clear plastic covers
2> remove the 4 screws holding the light unit
3> separate the unit and replace bulb

HOWEVER, the screws tend to get corroded, they tend to be rounded off and as it goes into plastic, there is no way to get WD40/PLUSGAS onto the threads, we ended up, drilling the screws out and fitting differnt fitting.

IF you have an easy job make sure you coat the heads and threads with lithium greese and DO NOT OVER tighten them. also a good way to protect them is to fit the plastic clear Lens covers to them, to deflect the salt road spray

good luck !
Old 10-09-2003 | 10:56 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, Adrian is right about problems with the 4 screws that hold the lens to the housing. If you haven't taken them out before or coated with grease/anti-seize you may have a problem.

Make sure the phillips head screw driver you use has a clean and crisp point, not an old abused point. Take it easy pulling these out. There are brass or steel bosses cast into the plastic/fiberglass rear housing. the last thing you want to do is break those out. And the boxes cost a small fortune to replace, $100's each, so you will be facing lots of rehab efforts to save your old boxes if you foul up the screw removal.
Old 10-09-2003 | 11:38 AM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am off to the auto parts store at lunch today.

I will be careful with the screws - thanks for the heads up on this issue.
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:54 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Again, be careful. I busted the heads off of the screws and now I'm screwed.
Old 10-09-2003 | 12:59 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Sterm.

you gotta drill em out carefully

OR

remove the nuts from the back, which involves dropping the lower part of the bumber

Hence why it took us 3 hours !
Old 10-09-2003 | 01:12 PM
Sach951
Pro

Is it possible to replace the housings without dropping the lower part of the bumper?... My turn signals were rusted out, and hence I need to replace those housings, along with my fog light housing that isn't healthy as well. The nuts from the back sticking out into the socket are fine... it's just the electrical lines... is it possible to pull them and put new one's in without removing the lower section?

Thanks,
Sach

Quick Reply: S2/Turbo Fog Lamp Bulb?