Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously thinking of getting out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
With the distributor cap, he complained that one of the bolts was stripped and stuck, so he had to drill it out and put in a new bolt when he changed the cap. That is minor stuff that is semi-justifiable...it took him time to do that, and the part that should have been $40 was $60. No big deal.
What bolt? Unless the distributor cap on an S2 is wildly differnet from the other NA models, the "screws" that hold the cap on aren't even screws, they're spring loaded L shaped keys that lock into the metal cam sprocket cover. You turn them like half a turn and they pop out and release the cover. The only bolt he could have had to drill out is the one that holds the rotor to the arbor on the end of the cam. And even if that was stuck he could have just unscrewed the set screw that hold the arbor to the end of the cam and just replaced that as well. Actually, the last rotor I bought came with the arbor.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the bumper feeling loose, there is a nut of sorts up in the bumper that a bolt threads into on each side. Those are what hold your bumper on. So, a bolt passes up from the bottom, through the end of the bumper shock and into the nut. What can happen is the nut will get cocked and it feels like the bolt is fully tightened, but actually everything is still pretty loose. You have to thread the bolt back out and start it in again, preferably with some antiseize or grease on the threads and make sure it goes in straight and the nut doesn't get all cockeyed again. Ones you do that the bumper won't feel loose anymore.

Oh yeah, did they keep you old parts for you?
Old 10-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$75 US for labour? Wow its like 75-80$ Canadian an hour most places here.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:30 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

This kind of crap is why I do all my own work. They are obviously ripoff artists. But sadly most import repair shops seem to be.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

AndyK, i don't mean to steal you thread but i've seen a car exactly like yours for the past 3 weeks at the shop by the Loews movie theatres on Route 1. Is that the place you're talking about? I'm really low on funds and don't want to get ripped off in case i really have to take my car to the mechanic.
AS for your problem.. just take him to the court, if he really did approach you with such ignorance and took advantage of your position. These days people charge you 10 times the price because of the badge on your car
Vlad.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No Vlad...this guy is in West Orange in a small residential neighborhood.

And, I STILL have a leaking oil cooler! He said "I don't know the cost of the parts, but it will run you major bucks in labor"! I know the oil cooler seals are like $10...moron!

I am beyond mad!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:08 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy, please come to my mechanich. Maybe a hour drive but he is the best, and won't F with you like these guys.

Christian
Old 10-08-2003, 09:13 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't drive for an hour to get the car fixed! I need someone near home. Most of the repairs I have had to do have been minor--ie, the car still runs! God forbid the car dies...I need someone close.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

if he knocked off 80 bucks from the bill just cause you mentioned you had seen a bumper shock on ebay for $10, imagine how he will quiver if you actually explain how he screwed you. right now you have the honest facts, the ball is in you court.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:28 PM
j_overly
Instructor

I have two bumper shocks I will send you and you can take them to him and say "these are off of my parts car, we'll call it even". Even if I shipped them ground, you might be looking at.. what $20?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:31 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

In the place i talked about earlier, European Motor Service, a guy gave me a quote for the Oil cooler job: 6 hours at $70 per hour rate. Oil cooler reseal kit is around $20-25. I bought mine from Paragon, searched the internet for all the info i could find and did the job myself in 3 nights and about 10 hours. Around a year ago i couldn't change my own oil, so the difficulty of this job isn't that high but it's a PITA
I hope evrything works out for you cause things like this really bring one down Good luck!
Vlad.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

call the credit card company and dispute the charges. the reason you are disputing the charges is because the work was done wrong.

the credit card company reverses the charge, and you dont have to pay for a few months.

with the car and money in your pocket watch how the tables turn.

sold a used part for more than list of a new, broke distributor then charged to repair his mistake, and go from there. just remember your phone call is taped.

worked great when i bought my rx7 and the dealer didnt do all they said they would. met with the owner, got some mud flaps, mats, etc. then told him to screw off when he didnt complete the rest of the deal. didnt get his money for a few months.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

i have the alignment tool if you want it for the oil cooler.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:39 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy

If you're in the doghouse and need a lift to a mech. feel free to PM...I am only a few mins away from you and would be glad to help.

Joe
Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

PS - there's a guy I have bought parts from who owns a shop in Bellville ( about 20mins from you...east of Newark)....he's a PCA member and works on P-cars as well as Rolls, Ferrari, etc.....very down to earth.....I've never taken my car to him but have been buying misc. stuff from him for 2 years...may want to try him out.

Joe

Quick Reply: Seriously thinking of getting out!