Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Lesson Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016 | 01:16 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

What exactly are you planning on putting in this thing??? While I understand the BIG brakes, in whatever color, might be nice for 250+ HP turbo race cars, just about anything you can do to a 8V NA (aside from making it NOT a 8V NA) the stock brakes, with good pads/rotors, are more than enough. IMHO

At least for street/light track use. Now I could see converting for racing, on open tracks with straights that saw 100+ speeds a lot, or maybe even for autocross where you're using the breaks heavily almost the whole time. But for the money, unless your planning 190-200HP + (and that would be a herculean feat with the 8V NA) then stockers should serve you fine.

There are exceptions of course, but in general cars seem to be designed with "just enough" engineering. The brakes are "just enough" to handle getting groceries and a jont on the freeway. The steering/handling is "just enough" to keep the car on the road, getting groceries and a quick jont of freeway driving. The 2.5L 8V NA aside, Porsche seems to design the other way. More is better, and "just enough" doesn't cut it. Instead of designing to the soccer mom on her way to the local walmart, the 944 and most of it's stable mates, were designed with someone else in mind. Some like you, and me, and most of the people here on RL. It was designed with "spirited" driving in mind. Pushing limits.

They kinda dropped the ball on the 2.5L IMHO, they should have started with the 2.7 or 3.0L's and 16V's to begin with. They aimed a little low there, but for the rest of the car? Overengineered big time, it's like they designed it for the engine they dreamed of having instead of the one they got.

Anyway, I'd make sure my project was going to exceed the limits of the stock setup before I threw a bunch of cash that way. Overkill is fine, but not if it's needless. I would say, unless you're really planning on doing something CRAZY under the hood, I'd really doubt you could destroy these cars. Unless you neglect it, but you don't seem the neglect type.

Keep in mind, Porsche often took VW and Audi tech, engineering, and even parts, then added the P touch. Not that VW and Audi didn't over engineer a few of their cars. Porsche did it to all of theirs. Use that as much as you can.

Don't reinvent the wheel, unless you really NEED to. Or, in the vain category, unless you just have extra money and like how Big Red's or Brembo's look.

I'm not saying some BAB (Big A$$ Brakes) won't stop you quicker, no matter if you have a 500 HP monster or a rubber band. I'm just saying it's unlikely you'll destroy the stockers unless you get into the S2 or Turbo power range.
Old 03-21-2016 | 07:30 AM
JWebber
Racer

This is going to be one of those over time builds . For right now , I am replacing the clutch and doing the timing service along with a full tuneup , engine mounts and a lot of cleaning . I have a rough idea as to what I want to build , which will take me time to collect all the parts and figure out how to go about getting it done . I`ll collect all the parts necessary to do the brakes and suspension , once I get everything refurbished , I will take time to swap it on . Main thing is I don`t want another long term project just sitting there .

Quick Reply: Suspension Lesson Needed