Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche? Barn find? Sitting? No history for last 3 years? Read here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016 | 06:27 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Default New Porsche? Barn find? Sitting? No history for last 3 years? Read here!

Change your timing belt, do it now, do it before turning the key. We know you want to play with your new toy, we know you want to hear it run. We know you want to drive it... DON'T just DO NOT DO IT...

Till you change the timing belt.... Valve piston collisions are not pretty. Rebuilding heads needed.

Guy changed his belt, drove 3.5 years, only 10k miles. Was getting ready to change it, broke. Rebuild needed.

Guy bought a old, non-running one. No history. Belt looked good. Started it and let it run 30 seconds, thinks "what could it hurt". Belt sheared off 8 teeth before he got it shut down. Was moments from a rebuilt head.

Guy just wanted to see if it would turn over, unplugged the relay so it wouldn't start by accident. Knew belt was old. The STARTER broke the belt, bent valves, rebuild needed...

See a trend? Change the belt, unless you have pristine doc that shows it was done within the last 3 yrs or 30k miles, change it.

I have no proof, but I'm of the opinion time is worse than miles. No joke. I see more time failures reported than mileage failures. Some guys get 6+ years, some get 80k. Some guys win the lottery, some guys get to sleep with Taylor Swift... if your not those guys, change your belt, you luck isn't good enough.

And if you still have the stock rubber fuel line in the engine compartment? Change them too. They are 30+ ish years old. Or close enough. Fire bad, fire hot. Fire just good for cold nights, making babies beside it, and cooking. Porsche fires good for nothing. Except to get new Porsche.

(these are not the same car, and there are many many more examples)

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Don't be a hot head. Do the fuel lines.

"Are you feeling lucky punk?" - Dirty Harry

Can we get this stickied and have it pop up for every new member??? LOL

Share your belt and fire experiences guys (with pics), we can link his tread for the new guys who just bought sitting cars.

Last edited by 951Dreams; 03-02-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2016 | 06:47 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Maybe a little melodramatic, but instead of repeating ourselves, maybe just link here. I'm hoping more stories will pop up below to illustrate the point. Sure, some make it 60k 100k, but if you don't.... It's just bad news.

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Sorry, I'm on a roll >< It's late and I'm posting.. never a good thing.

Last edited by 951Dreams; 03-02-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2016 | 11:25 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Some people have good intentions and way too much time on their hands Bottom line, though, you're right on the money.

Quick Reply: New Porsche? Barn find? Sitting? No history for last 3 years? Read here!