Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Replacement Windshield for 1991 944 S1 & Insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016 | 04:12 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Angry Finding Replacement Windshield for 1991 944 S1 & Insurance coverage

My mechanic, who specializes in Porsches, with whom I left the car for a week for a fair bit of work, pointed out when I went to pick it up on Tuesday that there was a "star" crack in my windshield.

So 2 questions:

Question 1: Insurance and liability

I am so meticulous about my car, I know I would have seen it when I brought it in. So I think it is fairly safe to say it happened while in his possession. But he doesn't want to admit it and is hoping my insurance company will cover it.

It is small but quite noticeable, a rather star about 1 1/2 inches in diameter from the end of one crack across to the other, with a tiny chip hole in the center.

I also meant to mention that I live in Baltimore, Maryland and my mechanic lives (and has his shop) in York, PA

He said my insurance company should cover it -- but they do only with a $500 deductible. I understand that is the chip happened because a stone flew up while he was moving the car from point A to point B, that in a certain way, it was just a fluke that it happened while he was in possession rather than me.

So I don't mind having my insurance cover it. But I called the agent who said the insurance company will call me back and ask me all kinds of questions; like when did I notice it, did I see it happen, etc.

I am concerned they won't cover it if they feel they can blame the mechanic.

I am not sure what to say when the insurance company calls me back. I don't want to lie -- and I don't even know if it matters. For example, it could have happened when a friend was driving the car and I was in it.

Any suggestions?
Question 2. This is a really old car.
How would I find a replacement windshield with the antenna etc for this car?

Last edited by Justitia; 02-26-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2016 | 04:51 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Honestly I can't give you a answer on your insurance dilemma, but a glass shop may be able to repair the stone chip.
Old 02-26-2016 | 10:36 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

I had Safelite replace the windshield on my 88 944T and they put in Sekurit (oem) glass with antenna, no problems. I think it was 250 bucks.
Old 02-26-2016 | 10:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

If the crack is in the direct line of sight of the driver most glass places wont fix it.

Any shop can replace it however finding one that will take care and do it right is the challenge. I have used Safelite before on my 944 and 944T. I had the windshield replaced about two years ago on my 951, the first guy who did it was a hack. A young guy also, so probably fairly new to the trade Windshield didnt sit in the frame right and damaged the a-pillar trim cutting the old glass out. I complained and Safelite agreed to replace it for free. The second time i made sure they had the most experienced tech do the work. This guy spent about 4-5 hours on the car and it came out perfect. They used the OE glass, Sekurit with the embedded antenna. Cost with tax was $585.

I would ask around to try and find a good independent glass guy, check the body shops that advertise with your local PCA and ask them who they use.

Quick Reply: Finding Replacement Windshield for 1991 944 S1 & Insurance coverage