Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy/quick-release seat rail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:19 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy/quick-release seat rail?

This might be a bit of a crazy question, but has anyone done some kind of quick-release for seat rails in the 944? I play upright bass, and while the 944 hauls a TON of stuff just fine, I'm getting to where I might need a bit more space for music gear. Yes, I could take another car, but I love the 944 and would much rather just figure out a way to do it.

I've hauled stuff with the passenger seat removed before, and it's great, so the question is whether there's a good way to get the seat out without having to grab a socket set every time. If it adds a bit of height to the seat, that's just fine. Neither my wife or I are that tall, so we wouldn't miss the headroom.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds sketchy. "Quick release" and "seat" seem like words that shouldn't go together. It doesn't fit with the seat reclined fully back? It goes pretty low.

If you constantly remove/install the seat you increase the risk of breaking the infamous welded captive nuts inside the floor.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Sounds sketchy. "Quick release" and "seat" seem like words that shouldn't go together. It doesn't fit with the seat reclined fully back? It goes pretty low.

If you constantly remove/install the seat you increase the risk of breaking the infamous welded captive nuts inside the floor.
Yes, but it's really not sketch if you do it right. My bicycle seats AND wheels are quick-release. If someone were to design quick-release car seats, it would need to be designed to be safe even if the releases fail. In other words, the seats cannot simply come out and slide around if the releases fail. Safety is key - then so is design.

Quick Reply: Easy/quick-release seat rail?