Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission options for 87S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The turn around time perspective is a factor for some I'm sure; a swap for a used box will generally be quicker if you're just re/re-ing. I love the quote "You already own a used gearbox; why buy another?" and personally I prefer to do things right the first time as my time to play with these cars is not infinite. I can certainly appreciate if your car was your daily or if you were looking for the solution with the lowest up-front cost then a used replacement makes sense. The community is better for having solutions from Lart and others available, I think that for as many cars that Lart has parted over the years, he's kept just as many on the road with a viable secondary part option. If only shipping wasn't so prohibitive to Canada....
Old 01-21-2016, 04:02 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Yes, that seems to be the case. I have also seen this for 944S2 transmissions, although I don't know others that have.

My bias is toward people who want to keep their car for the long term, that's true. If you are just interested in getting another year or two use out of your car, then by all means a used transmission can be a good option. However, a used transmission is almost always a pig-in-a-poke. While rebuilding is more expensive in the short term, if you do the math on cost-to-rebuild / anticipated-longevity, a rebuild is always less expensive.
The only way that I could agree with you is in regards to race cars because the abuse that race cars see, but for the everyday driver who does proper maintenance our 951 transmissions are strong enough, enough that i have seen plenty of 175k+ and even many over 200k+ miles that shift smooth in all gears with no grinding, a good used reliable transmission will always be less expensive than a rebuilt, actually if iam not mistaken for the price of one of your rebuilds you could buy 3 used turbo transmissions. No offense I heard wonders of your work and Iam not worry that people are going to stop buying from me and rebuilding their transmission or vice versa. But if you want to enlighten me how much is just the labor cost for a 5P turbo transmission? is not $ 500.00 isn't? I just commenting because making a statement that a used transmission is going to last you only two more years is entirely false at least not one of my transmissions, find me one of my customers that I have sold a transmission and broke down within 1-2 years and I retract my statement and get in my knees

Quick Reply: Transmission options for 87S