Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S too 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Jim Pasha did this very thing and wrote an article for Excellence a year or two ago. It was very thorough, find it and read it. Because you need so many miscellaneous parts from the S2 to make the conversion complete, the ebay engine route is probably not the best way to go. Try to find a complete wreck to strip instead.

From my memory of the article... you will need the DME, DME harness, exhaust system, air filter/intake system, an S2 vacuum line diagram, probably will need but not sure about the clutch/flywheel. The only real "modification" was to enlarge the hole on the driver side where the hole punched for the intercooler is located. Seems the S2 and turbo have a different panel above the radiator. Everything else is bolt on. There are several small items for the air filter housing closure panels you need from the S2 as well. I would not worry about upgrading the brakes, but they are standard turbo brakes on the S2, unless it has the M030 and then things get confused.

If the engine is broken but the body and interior are in great condition, I say fix it, or the car is virtually worthless. As we all know, the cost of maintaining these cars can easily exceed the market value. Cars you actually drive are not an investment, but an expense. How much are you willing to pay to drive what you drive? Porsche...there really is no substitute.

Let us know what you decide to do. If you do it, take lots of pictures and post the trials and triumphs of it.

No clear answer on this one, is there?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Once again it seems the people that have no experience with this chime in and tell you how difficult it is etc

This is an easy swap (do a search under my user name and 968 engine swap) especially into a 944S. As mentioned 944 guru Jim Pasha did an article on the swap in Excellence a couple of years ago.

If you are doing it to make money, stop, sell the car and start over with something else. If you want to do it for the fun and having sort of a novel car I would recommend going with the 968 engine, as the swap is not much different and you get the added bonus of the vario cam system

Good Luck

Todd
Old 10-02-2003, 03:03 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Gee, first you say:
Originally posted by Todd Holyoak
Once again it seems the people that have no experience with this chime in and tell you how difficult it is etc

Then you say:
Originally posted by Todd Holyoak
If you are doing it to make money, stop, sell the car and start over with something else.

Sure seams like the majority of the people that "chimed" in were saying the same thing you are in the 2nd half of your comment.

Also, how do you know what our experiences are? You don't. Sorry if we all didn't go into specific detail as to why we feel the way we do. He asked for advice, we gave it to him. You have no idea what the rest of us know or what we have done.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:07 PM
MAS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the conversion issues...

The 3 liter S2 engine delivers a lot more punch... not just because of the extra 20 hp, but also because of its fat, flat torque "curve"... which means that it has a lot of "grunt" low down, as well as high up.

-MAS
Old 10-02-2003, 03:26 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Not certain who Todd is referring to - since I have done quite a few engine R&Rs on these cars, it ain't me...

My main point is if you're going to all the trouble for an engine swap, make sure you know what the end goal is. You will get some performance gain from the S2 engine but not a huge one. Pasha's article in Excellence is pretty thorough, as he always is. I AM a fan of the S2, BTW, I have one as my daily driver right now....

If you do want to swap in the S2 engine, as it says in that auction, it's virtually a bolt in. May have to get creative with the air intake, but that's about it, and that's easy. IF the engine is what it says it is...YMMV Al
Old 10-02-2003, 05:27 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

BTW, I also used to own an S; I loved its engine character ALMOST as much as the S2's, just in a different way. The S would sort of make the red mist descend over your eyes like a 951 does - you have to rev it to get into the powerband, so you find yourself doing so more and more, etc.

The S2 engine will certainly fill in the low-end torque to a noticeable degree, versus the S which is almost like a near-turbo with a relatively sudden power spike in the higher RPMs. Whether the S2's higher total power and low end torque helps justify the engine transplant is a personal choice. Sounds like an engine has to be put in of one type or another...
Old 10-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Also I would be willing to bet you could put an S2 engine into an S /without/ changing the DME, clutch, etc. The fuel map might not be right, but perhaps not too far off. The S and S2 use the same AFM. If you had an S with a dead motor and got an S2 motor without the DME and AFM, it might bolt right in. It would be better to have the S2 DME and resonant intake setup, but that will generally cost you more money.

-Joel.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:16 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

thank you all for the replys! My brother is right (kevin Dubois) my engine is crap. i would say i have $5000 just in trying to keep it running and it still doesnt. one way or another it needs an engine. or someone needs to buy it for $2500, because i cant afford any more loss. its not that my car is a lemon but if any of you have heard the stories of my engine has they happened you would know. at this point i will do almost anything to get rid of this car. and i think putting in an S2 engine is the best option i have. please keep replying! but has of know i think i am going to try and get it.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:18 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally posted by phantom309
I think you have everything you need - that swap is very straightforward. I looked at it too but if you think about it, that's a LOT of money and work to get 20 horsepower. I'm holding out for a 968 engine.
S2 produces 211Hp does it not? S produces 180hp? Gotta be more the 20hp
Old 10-02-2003, 08:21 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

I asked the seller what the reserve is for you. I will post it when he replies.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:04 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

i already did. its $2000. and i believe the S2 produces 207 Hp. but its not about the horsepower. its that the availability of the S2 makes for a cheaper engine then the S. the added HP is just a benefit.

Quick Reply: 944 S too 944S2