Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it normal for the valve to look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:40 PM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default is it normal for the valve to look like this?

Guys,

I am finishing all kinds of cleaning/painting/vacuum line change out/hose change out/venturi delete work and as I am going to put my manifold back on I noticed that one of my valves out of the tree looks like this:

Is this normal or, is this a definition of a "dropped valve"

Could I have pushed it down accidentally during cleaning out of that area?
Old 12-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The way a 4-stroke engine works, the intake valves and exhaust valves open at different times during the engine's rotation (to let air in and let exhaust out) - each valve is open for approximately a quarter stroke. To make a 4-cylinder engine run smoothly, the timing of each cylinder is staggered.

Because of this, one of the 4 intake valves will *always* be somewhere in its cycle (same with exhaust). You just happen to be looking at the valve that's open.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sempaipaul
Could I have pushed it down accidentally during cleaning out of that area?
P.s. The bigger risk is that some of the dirt, grime and debris fell down that open valve during your cleaning and could cause scoring to the cylinder walls when you start the engine up. It's always a good idea to the intake (and exhaust) ports with masking tape to make sure no foreign matter gets in there.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:03 PM
sempaipaul
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
P.s. The bigger risk is that some of the dirt, grime and debris fell down that open valve during your cleaning and could cause scoring to the cylinder walls when you start the engine up. It's always a good idea to the intake (and exhaust) ports with masking tape to make sure no foreign matter gets in there.
Ok sounds good. Thanks guys. There was tape. This was right after I took it off to put the manifold back on.

Thanks
Paul

Quick Reply: is it normal for the valve to look like this?