Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior plastics colors -- mixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:53 AM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Interior plastics colors -- mixed?

I recently purchased a Zermatt Silver Metallic '89 944 S2 and the interior plastics seem to be both black and brown. For example, the dash material appears as black (and is original, not a cover), as does the center console plastic, but the instrument pod is more brown, as are the vents and the right-most dash trim panels, right of the climate control panel. The door tops are black. The seats and carpet are all uniform Linen color. The lower dash is all Linen color, as are the doors beneath the black window sills.

The interior seems appropriate to the 125k mileage.

Is this common or is it likely that some parts have been swapped?
Old 12-25-2015, 05:36 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This is normal. If it bothers you, though, you can remove and re-spray them to match.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you speaking about the slight color changing from a deep black to a more greyish/brown color shift ?

The series 2 cars all had a problem with correct color match dating back to the day they first came out of the factory, evidenced by some more than others and increasing with age and exposure to U.V.

It was a problem from select vendors ( SKF and Hella to name a few ) who were doing the interior componentry for Porsche, kind of like in late '89 and early '90 how all the new 911s came with rear lenses cracked or cracking from new. This worsened with sun loading or heat from the exhaust. Many of those were replaced under warranty but I don't think nearly as many folks did the same with their 944/951/968 interiors. I know there were complaints; I heard of more than several folks getting their special ordered S2s or turbos and being dismayed, but the salesman usually walked them around to other vehicles on the show floor and showed them it was on others, and that was the end of it.

I have several of these in normal and 951 and can note there is slight change from year to year and between models. These are all lower mileage cars and had limited exposure except when being driven to U.V. , so it tells me the color definition varied greatly from whom the parts were obtained when new and how they were manufactured.

( remember, this was during the first 'go-around' with European manufacturers experimenting with a greener manufacturing process, implementing new paint processes and even extending to such mundane items as the plastic covering or insulation on wiring. Mercedes and BMW models of this era have had serious issues with a disintegrating wiring loom in their cars and many of them have been rendered inoperative or had to have expensive repairs done to keep them on the road. I am glad we don't have such an issue as this with our Porsches; as there is enough along those lines already with dme's, grounding points, corroding fuses, etc. to keep us busy. Throwing in a 'self destructing' wiring harness throughout the car would be the tipping point for many .......

Quick Reply: Interior plastics colors -- mixed?