Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Recommendations for PC sterring wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:23 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ag951
Also I don't think there are any pot-based wheels on the modern market. The pedals for most (all?) are pot-based, but the wheel mechanisms themselves are usually (always?) optical these days.
the review i read before buying the MS wheel said it was the only optical wheel on the market. but that was a year ago, and i can't remember who published that, so things could be different by now . . . .
besides, the springs and other plastic parts will wear out first, unless you really abuse the pots, so it's probably moot, anyway . . . .
Old 09-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by streckfu's951
Is force feedback THAT big of a deal to justify the extra $$$.
Oh yeah!!
Play GT3A with force feedback and you'll be hooked. You can feel the car respond to your driving (and tell when you lose traction, etc).
And on the rally courses, the feeling of the bumps, catching air, and sliding make the game feel more real. I love rallying in my 993 AWD TT with 1100lb-ft of torque...
Old 09-30-2003, 08:30 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Originally posted by Matt H
MAME is multiple arcade machine emulator and for the purpose of this board I have NO repeat NO ROMs only the Mame platform.
yeah. NEITHER DO I!!!!

just wanted to make that clear

btw, mac users can enjoy MAME-based goodness as well with the MacMAME port. runs great on OSX!! uses the same roms (of which i have NONE! ZERO!) as the pc version.

pretty hard to find the roms online (something i NEVER do) these days unlike the olden days of, say, '98-'99. roms were everywhere then. not that i downloaded them. ever. seriously.

oh, i kill me. seriously, the whole copyright thing with regard to mame roms is such a crock. i mean, most of these games were produced by companies that no longer exist, so you're not taking profits away from anyone. And, often, there's literally no other way to play the game these days than in an emulator. Seems far less evil than downloading music or games that can actually be purchased. I mean, if you can't buy it for any price, who are you harming by downloading it?
anyway, i think i'll take off my rant pants now . . . .
elvisizer
Old 09-30-2003, 08:33 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Oh yeah!!
Play GT3A with force feedback and you'll be hooked. You can feel the car respond to your driving (and tell when you lose traction, etc).
And on the rally courses, the feeling of the bumps, catching air, and sliding make the game feel more real.
yeah, i've tried the momo wheel after using my MS wheel, and let me tell you, the next wheel i buy will definitely have force feedback. in racing games it makes the game seem significantly more real. and the interaction between the feedback and the onscreen action is surprisingly sophisticated. it's good stuff all around.
elvisizer
Old 09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

If you guys don't have any ROMs, what's the point in having MAME?
I can give you a few ROMs to make your MAME playing more enjoyable.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:49 PM
elvisizer
Racer

If you guys don't have any ROMs, what's the point in having MAME?
I can give you a few ROMs to make your MAME playing more enjoyable.
that sounds like a conversation better suited for pm's or email . . . but i think i'm set with what i've got. which is none. just can't stress that enough.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the .72 version I DONT have is 5-6DVD-Rs and is just fine for me too. I did see a set of .57s in the trash the other day though. BTW I run MacMame on my Powerbook G4, I love it for long flights, etc.

Elvis - do you run it in a cabinet? You know the stuff you dont have, I mean. How about you AG?

Now that they are using the Jamma stuff, I can see a legitimate concern, but the older games would have died without someones ingenuity.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:52 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by elvisizer
that sounds like a conversation better suited for pm's or email . . . but i think i'm set with what i've got. which is none. just can't stress that enough.

I don't actually have any ROMs. I've never been into arcade games, even as a kid in the '80s. I did have a ROM of The Legend of Zelda a couple years ago, but that was legal. It was my "fair use" copy, since I have the cartridge in my parents attic.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:27 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most important thing about a PC joystick/wheel is the accuracy and sensitivity of the pots/optical sensors. The second most important thing is how comfortable the wheel is, and how quickly you can shift.

I picked up the Yellow Logitech non-forcefeedback WingmanGP for 4 main reasons:

1: It was the cheapest. It was only $50CDN ($35USD) at the time.

2: It was actually very comfortable to hold, and the shifter buttons (paddlestyle) were solid anbd easy to reach.

3: The wheel is VERY accurate and sensitive.

4: It's sturdy. After lots of use, the pots/optical sensors haven't worn out. The wheel springs is still strong. (Unlike my T2 which broke the wheel and pedal springs like 10 times in its long life..)

The reason why I don't like Force Feedback, is because it is not realisitc, and the inputs are distracing from what is actually happening. This depends mostly on the game itself - I hear GTA had done a good job, but Porsche and F2 2001 didn't.

Anyways.. for the price its unbeatable and IMHO the forcefeedback isn't worth an extra $50-$100.

A good wheel should definately improve lap times, but what help even more is knowing the correct lines and braking points. If you keep crashing in the the same corner over and over again, it's because you aren't slowing down when you need to! :P
Old 10-01-2003, 06:09 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Originally posted by Matt H
Elvis - do you run it in a cabinet? You know the stuff you dont have, I mean. How about you AG?
no, no cabinet . . . . i'd really like to have a tabletop cabinet, actually. don't like to have to stand while playing, you know?
elvisizer
Old 10-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

I don't have anything to run in a cabinet. Really! I don't have it. I don't like old 2D arcade games. I have a PS2, with a between-the-knees wheel, and a PC. And I have the original CDs for all the PC games I have installed...currently...
Old 10-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a guy who makes cocktail cabinets, any interest? I have built two cabinets now. I have a friend who has a PP2 that is awesome.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Just saw this on slashdot. You MAMErs can go legit now:
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...id=186&tid=202
Old 10-01-2003, 08:42 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

What is a "MAME"?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:52 PM