Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero oil pressure, need advise!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 04:41 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Zero oil pressure, need advise!

After changing the oil from 10W40 to 20W50 and changing the oil filter my oil pressure suddenly stays at zero.

The car ran fine before the oil change. I put the 10W40 in after my engine rebuild and was advised to change it after a 1000 miles. First the car ran fine with the new oil, but when I started it after two hours, the pressure would't build up and remained zero. The lifters are very noisy so I know it's not the sender.

I've checked and cleaned the oil pressure relief valve but still no pressure. Then I ran the engine without the oil filter, and no oil is reaching the filter!

Does this mean my pump is toast? What are my options?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:46 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You said "I put the 10W40 in after my engine rebuild".
When the engine was rebuilt was the crank bolt tightened properly? It can seem tight but back out after a while and then the oil pump is not driven.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

What Pete said.

Normally if no oil comes out with the filter removed, this could indicate a problem with the pump. Try pulling the filter and filling the hole in the housing with oil. Then install new filter. This is to 'prime' the system. If that doesn't work, check the crankshaft pulley bolt as Pete said (or check that first).

If still no oil pressure, it's likely either the pump or the pump pickup tube.

Good luck & let us know what you find....
Old 09-30-2003, 05:28 PM
944Targa-fan
Instructor

I removed the filter and filled the oil feed hole with oil and then ran the engine without the filter, the oil should then be pumped up to reach the filter but in my case the oil didn't reach the filter.

When rebuilding the engine, I torqued the crank pulley bolt to 210 Nm. The engine oil pressure was fine before the oil change, I just can't figure out what the thicker oil has done to the engine which resulted in zero oil pressure.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I'm still lost on this one. I'd have to agree that you need to first check the torque on the crank pulley. Is it possible that the pick up tube has worked loose of its mounting in the oil pan? That'd be a royal pain in the a$$ to check.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

ck the crank bolt smart!I once discovered a broken oil pick-up tube by shining an ET light through a drain plug hole. When the light hit the pick-up, it wiggled!Also, whats the chance that with slightly higher pressure, maybe an oil galley plug was blown out? We've allways run 20/50 and I only seen that problem working on domestics long ago.Good luck.Ck the bolt then pull the oil pan from there you can ck out the pick-up and see the bottom galley plug.If its neither, the oil pump will now be easier to replace.

Quick Reply: Zero oil pressure, need advise!