Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odometer fix not going well

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Steve 4001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odometer fix not going well

im trying to fix the odometer on my 83 944 using this guide .

ive done every thing correct except the spedo cable wont unscrew. looking at it with a mirror, there looks like there is some sort of red seal (hopefully not locktite!)

i cant take the spedo out anymore because theres not enough slack in the cable.
im on the verge of taking it to a professional.

anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-27-2003, 07:47 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get pliers in there to help turn it?

Or what about un hooking the cable from the other end leaving it on the speedo and pulling it out that way, cable and all?

EDIT: Or unhook the cable under the car and push it in some at the dash giving your self more room to work inside the car.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is probably a seal put on by the factory so people know if the Odo has ever been messed with. I don't know exactly about an 83 944 but my guess is it is plastic and you need a razor to cut it off. Paul's idea is probably the way to go so you can get enough room to work on it.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:42 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No plastic- simply a "paint mark" to see if the cable and speedo were ever disconnected from the factory.

Pull the cable gently from the bottom of the engine bay, and slowly feed it into the cabin. You should be able to feed in a couple of inches. It's a very tight space in there, especially if you leave the steering wheel on. (Best bet- remove the steering wheel, it give you a lot mor working space especially during reassy- mark the orientation on the column with a white grease pencil)
The speedo cable unscrews clockwise if you are looking at the face of the guage. Make sure to tilt the speedo towards you at 2 o'clock (so the 60 MPH mark is at the top) as the cable has an odd angle (It's not straight out the back, points down towards the bottom left of the firewall)on the speedo.

I took digital pics during the dis-assy process the first time so I didnt forget anything.
#1- remove instrument bulbs, this will clear a little more room for your hands. they just pull out of the guage.
#2- remove the speedo cable.
#3 remove the ground
#4 remove the hall effect sensor. (if so equipped)

reverse for re-assembly

The biggest PITA is getting the instrument bulbs back in during reassy- I use a hemostat and it still takes some finesse and luck..
I swear one day I'm gonna make all those leads longer by splicing a few inches in. If I knew I would have had the guage out 5 times I would have done THAT the first time! Hindsight is indeed 20.20.

Good luck!- Chris

Quick Reply: odometer fix not going well