Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 S2 struts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 12:24 AM
StickShift
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 89 S2 struts???

Why do these seem to be so hard to find? Mine are not dead yet, but I would like to find some more to test the insert conversion with prior to removing the exsisting ones.

Anyone with thought on locating some used ones, or, god forbid, new ones??? I really don't want to spend alot on used ones for a conversion, because I will probably screw up the first one....

Thanks!

T
Old 09-27-2003, 12:55 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 4 sets in stock ready for conversion. They are already chopped waiting for orders. If you are really set on doing it yourself I do get them in quite regularly, but you'd have to cover s/h both ways as I'd want yours back in exchange. Otherwise, check our site for details on our conversion process.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Skip; 09-28-2003 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:44 AM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am also in need of new struts for my 89 s2 (part of my upcoming winter project) looking for advise on what to install and also how to install.
also looking for rear shocks. my useage is just about 2-3000 miles a year
street only maybe looking to try some autocross in future (when i get everything exactly where i want it) not to sound too dumb but what is the conversion you are describing?
thanks
buckshot
Old 09-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the Koni strut conversion on the tech section of Paragon's web site. Basically you cut off the top of the sealed factory strut and insert a new Koni adjustable. Paragon has a detailed step by step. I bought a set of used 944 Turbo struts off Ebay cheap, and just finished cutting and painting the strut casinings. Can't wait to install with my new weltmiester springs and poly bushings. There's a local salvage shop that has a bunch of struts down here in SanDog, overall the process takes a little elbow grease, but is much cheaper than replacing with OEM.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:18 PM
GrantC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine earlier this year using Konis bought from Skip. Following their directions it was not that difficult. Hardest part was getting the top nut off the strut (I tried the special wrench with no success and ended up having a friend zip it off with an air wrench). I used a hacksaw to manually cut the struts - not too difficult, took < 30 minutes to hack through both.

Looking back, it's one of those things I enjoy thinking I did myself. But at $110 for the pair, I think Skip's service is very reasonable (especially if you are going to spend a few $ buying another set of struts, as you mentioned).

By the way, I chose to keep stock springs and sways. After living with the Konis for most of the year and driving the car daily I am very pleased with the setup.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 89 S2 struts???