Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Alternator/Regulator/Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 PM
MrLittle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Alternator/Regulator/Alarm

I'm sure your first thought is another one of theses and "can't you use the search function". However, I've done this already and just would like some clarification.

So naturally, I'm having a charging issue with my '84 944. First my dash bulb wasn't lighting up, there was a bad connection in the D+ wire which I replaced and now the dash light works but won't turn off. Which from what I've read sounds like it's due to the light not grounding? (please correct if wrong)

1st real question: I see a lot of post about performing the alarm bypass. Does this need to be done? I've pulled the alarm module out and there has not been a bypass done. If these needs to be done I have no issue following the Clark's Garage instructions on doing so.

2nd: Is there anyway I can trick this light into grounding just to see if the alternator is functioning and this wire not grounding is actually the issue?

3rd: I pulled the alternator and took it to O'Riellys and it popped up with Failed: Lamp/D-Trio. I know it says failed but I didn't have a whole lot of confidence in the guy trying to hook it up to test as he didn't know what he was doing and was confused saying "huh, I guess it's no good". Note: it did not even turn the alternator just failed right away.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Mr. Little
Old 11-15-2015, 03:01 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLittle
2nd: Is there anyway I can trick this light into grounding just to see if the alternator is functioning and this wire not grounding is actually the issue?
Yes, you can put 12 volts positive to the "D" terminal. This will excite the alternator. Best to use a test light as a jumper.

When the alternator is not charging, the "D" terminal is a ground for the charge light.
When the alternator is charging, the "D" terminal becomes positive, the charge light now has 12 volt positive on both sides of it and causing the light to go out.

Quick Reply: 944 Alternator/Regulator/Alarm