Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600 HP Pontiac Aztek

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 02:51 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

>>andy: thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard. drive a cayenne, the handling and braking match the performance... its not a waste. not sure i'd like seeing all those soccer moms driving them, but i haven't yet... i'm sure the day will come. the cayenne is not your average 'truck' by necessity, trucks will need a lot of torque to move heavy things... porsche just happened to make the cayenne fast too the cayenne would beat the S2 on a track... so i'd be careful what i said.

It's pretty easy to call someone else's point of view "dumb".

It's a high performance SUV but it's still an SUV. Porsche could have aimed for solvency in a different way. A lot of us disagree with the way Porsche now does business with the Cayenne, not racing. etc. Some of you don't. Let's agree to disagree.

Regards Al
Old 09-26-2003, 03:59 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol
Old 09-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Water944t
Pro

Originally posted by 91S2
>>
It's pretty easy to call someone else's point of view "dumb".

It's a high performance SUV but it's still an SUV. Porsche could have aimed for solvency in a different way. A lot of us disagree with the way Porsche now does business with the Cayenne, not racing. etc. Some of you don't. Let's agree to disagree.

Regards Al
Careful Al, you might get on the 'Michael Bolton' list for telling ERAU he acts like a 4th grader.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by ERAU-944
andy: thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard. drive a cayenne, the handling and braking match the performance... its not a waste. not sure i'd like seeing all those soccer moms driving them, but i haven't yet... i'm sure the day will come. the cayenne is not your average 'truck' by necessity, trucks will need a lot of torque to move heavy things... Porsche just happened to make the cayenne fast too the cayenne would beat the S2 on a track... so i'd be careful what i said.

-Michael-
I see plenty of them every day.

You can say how wonderful the Cayenne is all you want... but It's still a TRUCK.
And some people like myself, just don't care for SUV's and Trucks.

I have driven a Cayenne, it does it's job well but I do not lust after one..at all.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:24 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make no mistake: i dont really like the cayenne either. in fact, i wont own a truck until i need to tow my track car. but when i do, you can bet it'll be the best engineered one out there. the cayenne.

-Michael-

p.s. my post has been edited: sorry andy!
Old 09-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

hmm.. looks sort of like a 944 turbo
heh heh

Old 09-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

i think Aztek looks like an armidillo
ha ha
Old 09-26-2003, 09:03 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow - how many actually read the article. For one, they are poking fun at themselves by building this as if to say; "yeah, we know how to make a super-suv - but, how many could afford it." I think the styling is very Pontiac, for better or worse, and is very nice to see corporate execs going to such extremes for the sake of the trade. The price jokingly says "enormous", but I wonder what portion of that could be produced for 80k per copy... thinking back to what the price is of a Cayenne Turbo. Is there a market for such a vehicle - sure - not much of one. While the base Aztec makes me want to eat worms to wash out the bad taste, this thing is pretty radical. My son has a Matchbox SUV/Van that looks very similar. Since he is too young for me to have corrupted yet, I'll take his impartial opinion of "Cool".

Some other key points to consider is the C5-R engine that is making 665HP and 625TQ. Some of the other facts - 6 speed manual, "...is fitted with steering arm adapters to allow the use of spherical rod ends in place of standard tie rods. Front suspension is a C5 double-wishbone setup with polyurethane bushings, while rear is five-link with adjustable coil-over triple adjustable shocks. Modular antiroll bar assemblies dress the front and rear, as do a pair of 2.5-inch diameter coil springs.", " no radio, a/c or cupholders ...six-point roll cage and racing belts..." Um, I wish I had some of that stuff on my little 'ol racecar.

I think even the DFASTEST951 would be hard pressed to hold it back... as devastating as that thought is.

I guess the engineering and finish is what pops my cork. To each their own. We're looking at Touregs this weekend...
Old 09-26-2003, 09:27 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I think it looks pretty trick - they finally got some of the bad spots of how it looked worked out. And the engineering details look pretty interesting.

They messed themselves up with the Aztek initially by poor color choices.

I have a friend who bought one - really competitive price for a big v6 with all the goodies - and it had the optional camping tent attachment. He couldn't beat the price he got. It's really a swiss-army knife kind of car - does the job, nothing glamorous.

Kevin
Old 09-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Operator,

That is too funny! You get nine hundred and fifty one points in my book for that one.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Speedracer
Intermediate

I see grandpa from the Munsters traded in his coffinmobile and bought a Pontiac

Quick Reply: 600 HP Pontiac Aztek