Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas in Motor Oil - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003 | 12:21 PM
sm
Drifting

Unhappy Gas in Motor Oil - Part II

After changing to fresh motor oil and driving ~80 miles, the oil reeked of gas, again.

So far, I've replaced/serviced the following:

-New O2 sensor
-New Fuel Dampener
-New Fuel Pressure Regulator (stock 2.5 bar)
-Injectors cleaned/resealed by Marren Fuel Injection
-Ensured Fuel Quality Switch was at full counter clockwise
-Ensured injectors didn't leak by monitoring rail pressure for 30 mins after shutdown, pulling fuel rail after shutdown, and running fuel pump with return hose clamped and fuel rail pulled = all tested ok
-New spark plugs which are a little discolored after ~80 miles, but not sooty.

What do you guys think is the next thing to check? As Danno said, it seems the fuel is getting into the oil in a liquid form, which points to the injectors. Are the injectors opening for too long? Are they leaking while driving, but not when the motor is off?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2003 | 03:00 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default leakdown test

Have or perform a leak down test on each cylendar. It is possible your leaking fule into the oil pan through the rings. A Leak down will tell you if the rings are your weak point. You have done everything else.

good luck.
TaboII

Old 09-25-2003 | 03:17 PM
sm
Drifting

Thanks TaboII,

I am thinking about doing a compression test myself, and if needed, have someone do a leak-down test (I don't have an air compressor).

Only thing is, the engine oil was fine prior to me doing the belts, injectors, TPS, chips, FPR (3 bar), upping the boost, etc.

I heard from the e-mail list that my DME may be bad? Will a bad temperature sensor cause that much fuel to be dumped into the engine? Will bad rings cause smoke to exit the exhaust (I have none)?
Old 09-25-2003 | 03:24 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by sm
Thanks TaboII,

Will a bad temperature sensor cause that much fuel to be dumped into the engine?
Absolutely - I just had that same problem and same outcome.
Old 09-25-2003 | 03:32 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Does your car pass smog? If the emissions are clean, its not your fuel system or excessive fuel from the injectors.
Old 09-25-2003 | 04:02 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default One more thought! though not a pleasent one

You have done a lot of nice work to this motor. Not to be a sour puss here but you have checked most everything else that I can think of personally. One possibility is that after all this great engine upgrading and modification "You simply cracked a ring" That would explain the gas in the oil problem you’re talking about. The Leak down test will tell you conclusively if this is a problem or not.

Just my .002
TaboII
Old 01-09-2004 | 01:16 AM
sm
Drifting

Originally posted by Legoland951
Does your car pass smog? If the emissions are clean, its not your fuel system or excessive fuel from the injectors.
Yes, and here are the results:

Emissions - HC CO NOx
Test Limits - 0.80 15.0 2.00
Test Results - 0.45 5.6 1.66

I still smell gas in the oil, so do the test results indicate anything?
Old 01-09-2004 | 01:24 AM
jc22
Pro

Get an oil analysis and find out IF there is any fuel in the oil and how much.
Old 01-09-2004 | 01:38 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: One more thought! though not a pleasent one

Originally posted by TaboII
One possibility is that after all this great engine upgrading and modification "You simply cracked a ring"
Can someone tell me what what symptoms an engine might exhibit if the bottom compression ring were to crack?

Reason being after driving 3K miles on my rebuilt engine I still dump a bit of blue / black smoke out the tail pipe under heavy acceleration. I believe I may have cracked a tiny bit off the side of a ring.

Or could it simply be attributed to the fact I didnt have the head rebuilt and it was suspected of bad seals anyhow?

Thanks
Christian

Quick Reply: Gas in Motor Oil - Part II