Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I remove the fuel rail tubes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:19 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Can I remove the fuel rail tubes??

When the car is off, are these fuel hoses empty? I ordered a new valve cover screw to replace the one that's stripped...but it's directly under those hoses, and a major PITA to remove and replace.

How do I disconnect the hoses(on the fuel rail side) without major grief--or is that impossible? Looks like they just un-screw?

Last edited by AndyK; 09-25-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:41 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I remove the fuel rail tubes??

Originally posted by AndyK

When the car is off, are these fuel hoses empty? I ordered a new valve cover screw to replace the one that's stripped...but it's directly under those hoses, and a major PITA to remove and replace.

How do I disconnect the hoses(on the fuel rail side) without major grief--or is that impossible? Looks like they just un-screw?
When the car is off, there is still pressure on those hoses and plenty of fuel. You need to 'release' the pressure my removing your fuel pump fuse and start the car until it dies. Even then, there will still fuel leak if you remove those hoses. If fuel leaks, no big deal. Just make sure you put rags under each hose you remove to soak the fuel. I had to replace a fuel line on my car and it was not so bad. On some fuel lines, you basically need two wrenches, one to hold it still and one to unscrew the hose.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:43 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doesn't sound like fun! Not something I wana try, at this point. Although removing the fuse and letting the car stall isn't such a project.

Do you know how easy/hard it is to get these hoses off on my S2??
Old 09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy-

The hoses can be moved out of the way without removal, at least this is what I did on my S2 when I replaced the chain tensioner.

HTH,
Old 09-25-2003, 12:51 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I already took the valve cover off with the fuel hoses intact when I changed my tensioner. Problem is, when putting on the new gasket, I had to shove the cover under the rails, possibly moving the gasket and causing it not to seat properly.

And, getting to that one valve cover screw is all but impossible with the two hoses right on top of the 6mm screw head! Another Porsche "bad" design?

Quick Reply: Can I remove the fuel rail tubes??