Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944s Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:47 AM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944s Track Car

I have the opportunity to get a 944s as a track car to replace my 84. I know I will take a hit on autocross as I'll be in the same class as S2's and Boxsters. However, on track days I think the extra 40 horses or so should help me out on the straights.

Anybody had any experience tracking one of these? I haven't seen one out on the track either. I was just wondering how they stack up maintenance wise and how quick they are compared to an na.

TIA
Old 09-25-2003, 03:01 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just using some common sense, I'd think they'd be pretty similar to maintain unless you have some t-belt problems. It's going to cost a little more to replace those tensior pad things in the 16v motor, but I'd think the rest of the maintainance would be pretty much the same as an 8v. Also, it's been said that the S is just like the 8v in lower RPM's, but on the track you'd probably notice it a lot more than the street.

Sorry I can't help you out too much with your question, but I see you're into tracking your car and auto-xing, so are you part of FSAE down here at U of I?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:20 AM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as FSAE goes, I tried to get involved last year but was too busy with other activities to really get involved. This year I emailed the President of SAE down here to ask him about getting involved with FSAE. Basically, involvement is limited to people who enroll in ME199 (too late now). ME 280 senior design project participants are the people who help design the car. As far as the program itself goes, it is very cool. ). My dad did FSAE here many years ago and he thought it was a very positive experience. However, while anybody can get involved in some capacity, it seems like the FSAE program is mainly geared toward the older students (I'm only a Sophomore). The people at the SAE meetings are pretty big car nuts from what I could tell (I only made it to one last year). My recommendation is to go to the next SAE general meeting and see what goes on and ask questions if you have them. I will probably be there if I can make it and maybe we can talk some 944s afterward.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:21 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

You have a PM. (in a minute anyways)
Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

F-1-10:
I've seen 944S's out on the track: they do very well. A little down on power, but with an upgraded suspension, you can run with all but the really high hp cars!

Just keep in mind that it will cost about the same maintenance wise as a 944S2, or even a 944 turbo. If you can deal with the lower hp, you should be fine.

Just another note: maintenance items, like timing belts, rod bearnigs, cam chain guide/tensioner are usually replaced more often on track driven cars, so keep "preventitive maintenance" in the forefront of your thoughts.

BTW: last year in my PCA regions autox, Phil and I ran neck and neck throughout the season: he had a 944S vs. my 944S2. In the end, he won. Your car can do very well against 944S2's and 986's.

-Zoltan.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

An 87-88 944S is basically the same car as an 87-88 944 except for the head and the trans.

For a cost/reliability discussion, the transmissions are the same, so the only difference is maintenance related to the head. Which is the chain tensioner. So as long as you dont brake a timing belt and take out 16 valves instead of 8, your costs will be about the same (assuming your comparing equal condition/mileage/age cars).

Going from an 84 to an 87S, youll also benefit from some of the later model upgrades with interior and suspension components.

A 944S will pull a plain 944 noticeably at higher rpms in higher gears (4th and 5th), but in lower gears at lower speeds, the higher horsepower does not show up, in part because the S has taller gears. For equally prepared cars, an S will not keep up with an S2 or Turbo on full road courses (power and brakes).

Quick Reply: 944s Track Car