Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has shelled out $1000+ for a rebuilt steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016 | 10:10 AM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

Default Old thread - Update

Originally Posted by kwikt
So.... what did you do about the steering rack??? I have a little too much play in my 968 rack also 170,000 miles.
So I ended up lucking out, a 38k original mile turbo was wrecked in my area and I managed to snag the rack for $100. The seller bench tested it prior and confirmed that the accident did not damage the internals. I just got it installed Friday (along with new pressure and return hoses). The rack feels tighter, I think it has taken more play out of the steering. I believe next on my list to finish tightening it up is to replace the control arm bushings with new parts, or upgrade to the high strung street control arms, have not decided yet.

I was at the hershey swap meet yesterday and a guy had an 015 sport manual rack ... If he had been there last year then I would've had that installed now, oh well.
Old 04-17-2016 | 05:43 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by divil
Last I checked (a few weeks ago) they were NLA. Still showing on the website, but it wouldn't let you order one. Same thing in the actual store. .
Strange. I had three 944s at one point all with autozone racks. One (an ATSCO) died immediately and was replaced, sold that car. The second car I sold, with an ATSCO rebuilt rack still working after maybe 5 years. The third (oldest) died after the car was sitting a long time. Autozone just replaced it after almost 8 years, that was about 3 weeks ago. They even gave me a long rack (AC Delco rebuilt with tie rod ends) - I had no receipt, there was no charge and no questions asked. They even trusted me to bring in the core. Hard to beat this deal.....Bruce
Old 04-17-2016 | 06:36 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F18Rep
Strange. I had three 944s at one point all with autozone racks. One (an ATSCO) died immediately and was replaced, sold that car. The second car I sold, with an ATSCO rebuilt rack still working after maybe 5 years. The third (oldest) died after the car was sitting a long time. Autozone just replaced it after almost 8 years, that was about 3 weeks ago. They even gave me a long rack (AC Delco rebuilt with tie rod ends) - I had no receipt, there was no charge and no questions asked. They even trusted me to bring in the core. Hard to beat this deal.....Bruce
That could be good news...maybe they have them again. It was a while back when I checked so maybe it was just a temporary problem.

Quick Reply: Who has shelled out $1000+ for a rebuilt steering rack?