Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed from forums-86 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 AM
azerite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed from forums-86 944

hello, i'm a new member, i bought a porsche 944 last week. I have loved these cars since i was a child and finally got the opportunity to buy one. An old guy had one of them sitting in his garage, and when he passed away his son drove it for a bit before selling it. The car has approximately 26k original miles. That being said, i had the car towed because i didn't trust the belts, and had no real indication of service history.

I had a couple of questions i was hoping i could get answered, i've been browsing the forums for the last week and haven't been able to find solutions to some of my questions.

1) I plan to do the timing belt and all seals myself. I just bought the timing belt tools from arnox, and have watched a few videos on youtube, both in english and german. I haven't changed a belt on any car before and want to know how much time i should devote, I think 2-3 days for everything but am unsure. That being said, i'm mechanically inclined and have done all types of work on cars before except bottom end, clutch, and transmission.
1a) first question is if there is a link or site that has the procedure with pictures. I watched the videos and understand TDC, locking flywheel etc. but am unsure about pulling the gears for the seal changes. Anybody know what width socket to use to push them back? The video i watched in german had a guy use a wooden piece he made, the english, a home fashioned flange, i unfortunately can't weld, so the next best thing i could think of was an oversized socket.
1b) should i remove the bumper in order to access the belt area? In all the videos i saw everything stays on, but i want to remove the radiator and flush the system, and replace the radiator supports ( i assume in 30 years they are shot).
1c) What is the green glue that gets put between the waterpump and the engine, some kind of gasket sealer?
1d) I bought this kit from 944 online- http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...ingsystem-9442 i assume that this has literally everything i need to replace all the respective seals? Once it's all broken down, i don't want to do it again..

2)
I've done a bunch of reading on the clutches, transmissions etc. It looks like the transmission seals that hook up to the axles are leaking (oil spots around inner CV joints and no visible rips.
2a) Are there any other gaskets or such that need to be changed around the transmission? What type of oil do i use? Since the seals seem to be leaking, maybe 75w90 synthetic and change the seals?
2b) From what i've read the stock clutches tend to fail over the life of the car. If this is the case, are there any gaskets etc. that need to be changed near the clutch? My assumption is no. in the clutch inspection port near the flywheel, is there anything i should be looking for?
2c) I believe the car has power steering. Is there anything that needs to be replaced on the rack outside of fluid (dextron) if there are no leaks?

3)Mostly cosmetic stuff. The struts for the hatch and hood are all shot and don't hold. I bought replacements. I ready about delamination. I plan on installing regardless and if the glass peels i'll reglue the glass. Anybody have any alternatives?

4) I bought conventional 20w-50 castrol for oil. From what i've read this is the correct type. The amount for the high mark is 5.5 quarts correct?

I'll have more questions later i'm sure.

Quick Reply: Help needed from forums-86 944