Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batteries, Battery Covers, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 12:29 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The part # for the rear engine cover is:

Found it under the 968 section of the Porsche Parts diagrams (PET). The diagram is identical to the picture in Partwerks Ebay offering.

Has a 944 number though....?

BTW, Partwerks is a terrible supplier. Use the search function and check the threads before buying from Partwerks. Total cheats as far as I'm concerned. Have to get the credit card company involved before they do anything.

Old 09-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by WillyC4S
Has a 944 number though....?
I believe some of the later 944's had that part as well...not too sure though.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

*****- THANKS for the warning (& the #)- I was about to order Partswerks glove box check repair kit- now I may not- anyone know any other places to buy that from?

Also, many of the 968 parts, for some reason, DO have 944 #'s...
Old 09-22-2003, 09:15 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Robby
*****- THANKS for the warning (& the #)- I was about to order Partswerks glove box check repair kit- now I may not- anyone know any other places to buy that from?

Also, many of the 968 parts, for some reason, DO have 944 #'s...
I have gotten 2-3 items through ebay from partwerks. You are looking at a picture of what they are selling - so I don't know how they could screw you over in this case. The worst-case scenario is slow shipping, and if you get insurance on the shipping, then I don't see what the risk is. Your total outlay is under $75. If you want the part, it may be a long time before you find another one on ebay.

If a 944 part was carried unchanged into the 968 series, it still has a 944 part number. A 477 part is a volkswagen/audi part. There are also some 928 pars in our cars as well.

Don't know about what 944 models this part was standard equipment. Probably later (and rarer) models.

-Kevin
Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've dealt with Partwerks on eBay repeatedly before - sure, they're a <little> slower shipping, but they're fair prices for what they have, and they do have them when noone else does. I haven't had any problems and I'll definitely deal with them more again. Of course, if I was buying more high-dollar items, then I'd deal with other places.

Sam
Old 09-23-2003, 05:30 AM
WillyC4S
Racer

Robby,

Try Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They usually have good prices. Combine the order with other items and shipping won't kill you. They are a Porsche dealer, not a salvage house like Partwerks.

Sam, Kevin,

Sounds like you folks are in the minority and/or Partwerks treats Ebay customers differently than non-Ebay customers since their ratings are posted publicly on Ebay for everyone to see. The Partwerks guy cussed me out and then hung up on me. After that, they wouldn't take my call and just hung up. Found out that they do talk to credit card companies though; it's like bringing in a police officer during a robbery in progress. They didn't like that too much for some reason ....

If you folks have good luck with Partwerks then continue using them; as for me, I've wasted enough time and learned the hard way to stay away.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:45 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by WillyC4S
Robby,

Try Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They usually have good prices. Combine the order with other items and shipping won't kill you. They are a Porsche dealer, not a salvage house like Partwerks.
I thought this was a Partswerk part(?)- do other places sell the glove box check repair kits too? I've delt w/Sunset- they were pretty good- great prices, but they really screwed up my order- they DID fix it though- people make mistakes I guess- Don Rosen in Philly is another good Porsche dealer too...
Old 09-23-2003, 01:52 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

Robby,

Sorry, thought you were referring to the rear engine cover instead of the glove box repair kit.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's cool- I know I've seen the glove box kits other places though, so I'm not sure if it's exclusively a PArtswerk part or not- could also be copied by others- that would be nice- I don't think I want to fool w/the fastory as, even if I could get JUST those parts (PArtswerk's ad makes it sound like you can't), then they would STILL be plastic- I'd like to get the aluminum ones that wouldn't ever break again- I would think someone out there could MAKE some of these for cheaper- or maybe carbon fibre even? Don't know if that would be worth the trouble though- but almuminum would be GREAT- The PArtswerk ones are ~$40/pr though...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 09-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Robby
That's cool- I know I've seen the glove box kits other places though, so I'm not sure if it's exclusively a PArtswerk part or not- could also be copied by others- that would be nice- I don't think I want to fool w/the fastory as, even if I could get JUST those parts (PArtswerk's ad makes it sound like you can't), then they would STILL be plastic- I'd like to get the aluminum ones that wouldn't ever break again- I would think someone out there could MAKE some of these for cheaper- or maybe carbon fibre even? Don't know if that would be worth the trouble though- but almuminum would be GREAT- The PArtswerk ones are ~$40/pr though...

Thanks,
Robby
Fiberwerks.com has them for $35
Old 09-23-2003, 07:18 PM
gilwong
Instructor

paragon-products.com has glove box repair kit for $40
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I know someone makes them out of alu, I have a set - I got them on eBay, forget from who though.

Sam
Old 09-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Try

http://www.surplusev.com/

Deep cycle G13EP model with the terminal adapters. I bought it couple of months ago, car starts fine, but I havn't used it as daily driver yet (it is in the shop). Battery is disconnected, when the car is not being worked on...

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sasha,

Thanks a lot for that info- PLEASE let us know how it does when you get the car back & have used it for a month or two- the only prob is, it doesn't have the CCA's or anything listed... I'm about to shoot them an e- mail to find out if they'll let me know...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 09-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Well,
Before me and my friend (with Impresa 2.5RS) bought those, we did whole lot of research on it. In short (based on our eng. degrees and user's comments), we found that the battery should be able to support both of our cars. There are several drawbacks to this battery:
-- (Supposedly) Bad performance in hot wheather - we havn't seen that
-- Small rating for CCA (cold cranking amps), but high enough rating in HCA (Hot cranking amps) to start both a 944 and 2.5RS
-- Small capacity (A/h). Based on current draw of my 944, I estimated that it would be dead (i.e. voltage will drop below 10V) in 3-4 days without re-charging. Therefore, it needs to be unplugged if the car is expected to be off for more than 3 days.

In practice, my friend's 2.5RS (a daily driver and a time trial car) did not have any problems with this type of battery whatsoever for the past 4 months (since installed). I cannot say anything definite for the 944, except that CA rating is enough to start the car several times in a row.
Hope this helps
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Batteries, Battery Covers, etc...