Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Dream is about to be Realized, I'm getting a 951

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015 | 01:42 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the car is half decent, get it. Price is good and on pictures it doesn't look that bad. Even if the engine is shot you can get good one for about a grand.
Old 09-20-2015 | 04:50 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Well if your that skilled and can do it, and the 951 body(chassis) is straight, meaning never wreaked, then go for it. Lart has more parts for you also. I have bought many parts thru him as well as everyone else. Good people in this realm. I would check electrical connections for corrosion everywhere I could with your preinspection. Also you will probably be rebuilding the whole car. I had to rebiuld my entire 87 951! But mine was a used up developed race car that I developed further with the rebuild. But everything was used up. Look at spending 10 G's through out the next year or two, counting the cost of the car. You may think I'm kidding. I'm not! Not at all kidding!
Old 09-21-2015 | 01:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4
Okay being a newb on here what are the 7 stages of 944T ownership?
this is perfectly understandable.... the 7 stages of 944T ownership were first introduced to the collector/hobby car world on 19July 2012 to great applause – and has since gained not only, universal acceptance – but even cult status.... and there is even talk about an experimental drug and psychotherapay administration to help (literally hundreds) of individuals (still living) and their family members cope with post traumatic stress after horrfically, problematic 944Ts have blown up on the launch pads, or having simply been *wrenched from their cold dead hands.... these individuals come and go like weeds in the Permian basin of central/west Texas....

there are those few, wonderful success stories out there, most of which moved up to bigger, better 3.0 Turbo platforms....

but most of those who tried to eke out a workable solution from the 2.5 litre platform,

are long gone from these forums – never to be seen again (moment of silence)....

of course, it is our most sincere wish that God will grant them peace – wherever they might be found.

please refer to post #173

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...r-what-12.html

these cars are old. if we're honest, think of how fun owning an '80s laptop might be.

in some cases, the engine management isn't real far from totally fried.

many are driven along various stages of maintenance and development, and for the most part, they run well.....

but, unfortunately, there have been literally hundreds of long anticipated build projects archived on these same forums –

–(the 944 and 944T forums)

upon which viturally zero time is ever given and recorded for posterity, of anyone actually driving a completed car.

*there's fair reason for all the pain and suffering...

when running properly – the cars are one serious can of whoopass.

no one. AND I MEAN NO ONE ever gives up their 944T's without a lot of regret. sorrow and soul searching.

there's no shame in it. but it is what it is.....

some people deny these realities..... they post from the perspective of only a few months or years of ownership (in the present)–

as if no catastrophic engine and driveline failures will happen anytime soon, or at an inconvenient time.

they're in error.

at some point in 944T ownership, your commitment to 'stay in with said car' will be significantly challenged.

due to their low values, these cars exist, at best, in a semi-fluid economic state.

i sincerely believe, the long-term daily driving of a 944T is very nearly a rich man's game.

from personal experience and observing other's experiences, you can be sure - driving a 968 n/a
which offers a similar performance platform (with less complexity of no turbo, and far better engine management) – invokes similar absolution....

or for such individuals with a lot of time on their hands, an ultimiate set of tools, and is a damn good wrench...

even then, it helps to have a good supply of cash.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-21-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2015 | 03:23 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

On a positive note....buying a car under these circumstances and knowing that you're familiar with
'wrenching" on der porsche, You can gradually become a turbo porsche expert by having to repair or rebuild everything. I'm in the middle of the same situation. I bought a barn find in the midwest and loving a challenge, decided to buy it and it has been a real education. In the long run, it's going to be more fun than the N/A and I'll know how to fix everything and everthing that has been fixed. There's a lot of technical help here once you've pulled the trigger. Good luck
Old 09-22-2015 | 05:57 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

I didn't see the craigs ad but honestly if the price is around 3k it's worth it. I bought mine for 2,800 with 185k on it, I did a lot of maintenance on it since it was my daily driver but out of things that actually failed there were only a few: Fuel pump, rail fuel hose, water pump, for and rear shocks. So if it's a good price get it and just take your time and do the maintenance. Pretend it's all original and needs to be gone over. I spent 6k in my car in 5yrs but that includes all the mods in my sig.

Quick Reply: A Dream is about to be Realized, I'm getting a 951