Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brakes look funny

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015 | 12:38 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Default Rear brakes look funny

Rear brakes look funny

I finally had the tires replaced on my 84-944 the tread was good but the dry rot was bad. I hardly ever drive this car. When they had the wheels off I got a good look at the discs. The fronts looked normal the back ones looked like the rear brakes were hardly ever touching the discs. I assume that this is not normal. I don’t really drive this car aggressively but I do not drive slowly. And I have never felt like I didn’t have enough braking power.

I had the brake line that runs from the master cylinder repaired a few years ago, it developed a leak where it was in contact with a screw. This was at a specialty Porsche repair place. They said at the time that they couldn’t get a new line so they cut the line and put a replacement piece in there. Now I am wondering if there is a crimp in the line and it is restricting the flow of the brake fluid to the rear break calipers.

I don’t have access to a lift to work under the car and I understand that you need to get the car high enough to snake the line in there. The brake line seems to be available or easily fabricated. I have in the past done a lot of work on cars myself but I have lost interest in doing a lot of that anymore. I am not sure if I should trust this repair place again.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments.
Old 09-18-2015 | 12:45 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Try bleeding the whole system. I remember one time my rears weren't grabbing well at all right after some work that involved disconnecting/reconnecting the lines and it was just air in the system that didn't come out the first time. A lot of people on here really like the Motive power bleeder.
Old 09-18-2015 | 12:47 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bleed the rear brakes and see if you're getting good flow out of the bleeders. Could be a problem with your rubber flex lines on the back being collapsed internally or maybe the piston on the rear caliper is seized from lack of use and moisture contamination.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 09-18-2015 | 01:01 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

I discovered the same thing with the rear calipers on my car. When I took them off I found the piston had rusted to the bore under the rubber dust cap. 30 minutes in a heated ultrasonic cleaner got rid of most of the rust and the piston came out fine.

No rust internally, so I cleaned it up the rusty areas with a wire brush on a dremmel and rebuilt both calipers. Rear discs are nice and shiny now and with rebuilt brakes all the way around the car stops very nicely. I also installed new flex lines from the hard lines to the calipers.
Old 09-18-2015 | 01:36 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Also check that the calipers are free on the sliders. I applied a neverseized compound on those sliders.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes look funny