Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm up and running kind of??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Techmonkey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I'm up and running kind of??

Well first off I would like to thank everyone on the board for their help in answering the problems I was having.

For those of you who don't know I spun a berring on my 83 944. So instead of tring to salvage this crank(very unlikely) I bought a new engine. I did not install it my self as that is beyond my capabilites at this time so I had my mechanic do it. He had some troubles and I consulted here on Rennlist and another board to remain nameless.
Well thats thee story it is now together and runs great doesn't over heat has lots of power(seems to compared to my 83 engine but I've been driving my POS Chevy S-10) and runs a 2.5 bar at idial and moves up nicely to 5 bar.
I know I should have looked the car over at the shop but I didnt and I noticed some problems righ away and more when I got home. So right back to the shop to get them fixed. One problem was the CD player was stolen but they know about that, the problem is that when those punks stole it they broke the center console. So the heater and vent controls are broke and hanging and they didnt even tell me. And there was even a pastic piece hanging off under the dash. So I'll need a new center console (brown if someone could help).
Anyway they will replace everything damaged but the thing that really concerns me is that I see that they put a Carquest oil filter on it and that makes me think that there may not be the correct antifreeze for aluminum engines either.
I wont be driving it or anything until monday should i have it towed or will it be ok until I take it there monday. shop is 20 min away form home by the city or 15 min. by interstate 75 MPH. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:16 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i've got a great brown center console. $50 and shipping and its yours. in perfect shape out of an 83 with 36k miles.

-Michael-
Old 09-21-2003, 04:10 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The problem with an off brand filter is they bleed off the oil pressure. This is bad for the engine as it may take too long for oil to flow to the bearings. 2.5 bar at hot idle is good.

I called and talked with the shop owner and he seemed liked he listened. I asked if he had an e-mail address as it would be worth it to send him a check list. Never go back to me. One of the things I did mention was to use the Mahle filter because of the check valve.

I take it you used the 83 DME and harness?

Quick Reply: I'm up and running kind of??