Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 05:39 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AutoX question

I have an 88 944 auto. I am just finishing repairing my damper disc replacement, on the way i did some suspension upgrades, ( koni yellows, weltmiester polygraphic bushings, and more) the engine is strong. Bottom line is that the roads in houston suck, and i am getting too many tickets due to my heavy foot. I have allways want to try just a casual weekend autoX against the clock to feed my urges. Is going with an auto kinda stupid, i know it's "the antiperfomance porsche" or whatever, but it sure as hell aint no civic, especially my auto. Just wanna know if i will look like a goof.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:23 AM
IceWater
Instructor

Well, you'll look like much less of goof than you would pulled over on the side of the road with flashing blue lights behind you.

Seriously, though, don't give it a second thought. Do the autocross, you'll love it. While the torque that the auto absorbs will hurt you a little, auto-x is much more about cornering than power. I'd bet that the lack of engine braking with the auto will hurt you more than the lessened power.

Try to hook up with a PCA autocross instead of an SCCA event...you'll get more seat time and the courses tend to be faster.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David:
After you try autocross a few times, you may also want to look into your PCA region's Driver's Education (aka DE) program.

Want to have some real high speed fun? You can take your car to the track and learn how to drive it there.

I actively participate in both autocross and DE, and find both sufficient to satisfy my cravnig to drive my Porsche the way it is meant to be driven!

Good luck, and don't worry about what you bring to the autocross: I know of literally dozens of Porsche owners that autocross their automatics.
-Z.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

I've paid speeding tickets (and the insurance hike that resulted) and autoX entry fees. The autoX is definitely cheaper! And I drive slower on the highway since I started autoXing.

Quick Reply: AutoX question