Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arnworx belt tensioning tool calibration question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Wrayp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnworx belt tensioning tool calibration question

I've offered to help a local Rennlister with a timing belt change and offered to loan him my Arnworx tool kit. I've used the kit on two cars in the past and have had no major problems, but need a little assistance now.

During my last belt re-tension I used generous amounts of engine de-greaser that removed the calibration value written on the calibration bar. The gauge still retains its calibration marking so I know what value to set the tool to. The issue is I now have no way of knowing which orientation to place the calibration bar into the tool! flipping the bar over will yield a different value so I know one side is correct, while the other is not.

I need to determine which is the correct orientation and stamp/scribe the bar to indicate this. Has anyone else faced this issue or have any ideas how to determine which is the correct calibration orientation?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like you have bent the calibration bar if you get different readings flipping it.

Ideally, you could take the average if the bar is in the exact reversed position.

Bruce might send you another bar or pick up some flat stock and mic it.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Wrayp
AutoX

Thanks Thomasmyran.

The instructions for use show the calibration bar in a specific orientation so I assumed that it was normal to get different values if I flipped it over.

I've sent an email off to Bruce to ask about this issue. I'll post here his insights here in case someone else has this issue in the future.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

The tool must be oriented properly on the belt to get an accurate and precise reading.

The bar is used to get a base setting or zero for the way the tool is designed.

Bruce has great products.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Wrayp
AutoX

Just a quick update:

Bruce at Arnnworx responded to my email within a few hours:

Hi Wray… yea, we fixed that just a few weeks ago. We now have a sticker on the bar to say which way is up. If you want to send it to me, we will be glad to update/calibrate yours. The bars should be straight but frankly we don’t check them unless the tool gets rejected during our set-up calibration. Anyway, we do a couple of these every week mostly due to drops but for any number of reasons. We’ll even pay shipping to return it to you…
It's great to see such good support for a great product! I hope that someone else can find this info useful.

Given my experience I would highly recommend the tools from Arnnworx!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:01 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

I have considered buying this tool set, but up until now, I've had no need for it. Sounds like the right guys to work with!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Anyone ever use the simple tool used by the 928 Crowd?

A replica from a Factory Tool used - easy peasy.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Arnworx belt tensioning tool calibration question