Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

refreshing/rebuilding the engine -- step 1 -- questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003 | 06:19 PM
Charles
Instructor

Arrow refreshing/rebuilding the engine -- step 1 -- questions

hi!

I'm currently taking everything out of the engine bay so that I can get the motor out of the 944... I'm at the point of removing the cross member and the torque tube at the bell housing...

I'm following the steps in the clark's garage manual.
So here goes the questions:

1. Where the heck is the torque tube on the "clutch/bell housing".

2. Can I take out the tie rod and the struts all together with the cross member at once so that I can save time?

3. Do you know any upgrades to replace the stock fuel rail?

4. Would you think it could be a good idea to remove the air intake manifold before taking down the engine?

5. How do you remove the nose panel (badge panel) on the earlier cars... mne almost seems to be welded on... is that possible? If so is there still a way to remove that front nose panel?

The 944 in question is a 1984 NA (of cours).

Thanks in adavance for you help...

Charles

P.S. I might be looking for a turbo or 968 engine
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:25 PM
Matt H
Race Director

2) you can remove the strut, rotor, caliper, assm together but it is heavy (dont ask how I know). You should take the tie rod off and drop the motor with the rack attached to it. It will need to be realigned but if you are removing the engine doubtful you will mind the exra expense.

3) www.lindseyracing.com they have a billet rail but with hoses it looks like it is about 500 bucks and I am not sure if it fits early cars.

5) Might be welded in place.
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:35 PM
M758
Race Director

1) The is the main drive shaft. There are 4 bolts that hold the tube to the bell housing which is the large back part of the engine that holds the flywheel & clutch.

The engine is held in place by the two engine mounts on the lower cross member and by these 4 bolts. To get it out you must slide the engine far enough fwd to get the driveshaft splines out of the clutch disk.

2) Once you pull the cross member be prepared to support the engine. I have done engine changes on my 944-spec car and its easier to just pull the entire long rack as one piece, pull the spindle & control arms as 1 piece and the strut as a seperate one. Stuff is just too heavy otherwise. When the crossmember is the very last thing.

4) Nope you are find with leaving it still on the engine.

5) ???
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:40 PM
Charles
Instructor

Thanks Matt and M758 for your help...

Matt

I'm pretty sure that the fuel rail that lindsay offers does fit the early models... nice! but expensive... and I might not realy need that high end race stuff.

M758:

1. then the torque tube and the drive shaft is the same thing??? or will I find out when I remove it from the bell housing?

Yeah... I guess there's no point in hurting yourself trying to save time... =)

Charles
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:48 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

The torque tube contains the driveshaft. The TT is a big long tube with bearings in the middle that the driveshaft goes through. You can't miss it if you're under the car. It goes from the bellhousing all the way back to the transmission.
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:52 PM
Charles
Instructor

ahhhh!!

I thought that big black round tube was the drive shaft... and that the torque tube was something else.

(feeling retarded) joking... =)

When you don't know... you just don't know!! =)

thanks again guys!

Charles
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

No shame in that, even after working on cars for a long time there are still parts that have no name in my book.
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:56 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

If you never ask, how would you learn?
Old 09-18-2003 | 06:56 PM
Charles
Instructor

awww thanks matt... your nice.. =) hehehehe

Quick Reply: refreshing/rebuilding the engine -- step 1 -- questions