Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally 924??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 03:00 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also try contacting the people who built that gold car.......

http://www.motorsport-schmid.de/

Maybe the guy who built it is still there (or at least some of the drawings or specs might be!)
Old 09-19-2003, 03:32 PM
TheJonesBoy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point with the coilovers is reliability. The street stuff that you see all the ricers putting on is pretty, and good for the street, but it will not hold up to the pounding of a rally. The shocks are not large enough and will overheat. The tiny springs will wear out quickly, and need constant replacement.

WRC uses coilovers, but they aren't using the stuff you would buy. All that stuff is custom, IIRC. If you use the street coilovers, you will blow the valve bodies, ruin the springs, and spend way too much money on replacing them. Ever see them steam when they get wet? (the shocks, not the brakes/wheels)

I am doing rallycross/sprints right now. I use an A2 jetta with the suspension of an A3 VR6 GTI. The shocks are trashed, but the springs are tough enough to prevent bottoming out, and they give me a good inch or so of lift. I would like to start a team, but I don't have a partner. (I live in Northern NJ if anyone is seriously interested)

I wouldn't shun the RWD cars. There are several RWD cars that perform well. The 944 family should be fine with the 50/50 weight balance, and lots of power. It would just be a shame to crash it!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Visit my website. There are two sections on rally car prep. One that my father wrote for mid-70s Dodge Colt and one that I wrote for Eagle Talon. Most information is applicable for general preparation.

Suspension and undercarriage protection are going to be your two biggest issues. DMS from Australia is currently one of the most respected suppliers of suspension kits to the ralliests here in the states. I'm sure they can come up with something to work with the front struts. As for the rear - it may be a little more difficult. A larger, reindexed torsion bar may get you the increased ground clearance you need. A good rally shock (Bilstein or DMS) may be the answer to the rear damper question.

Keep in mind that it is not too difficult to spend in excess of $3000 to get a suitable rally suspension. It is not uncommon to spend $1000 for a car and 4 times that in suspension.

My other advice would be to get in contact with people in your area who are members of SCCA and paticipate in rallies. You might want to start out running Road Rallies and then try some Rally Crosses before you take the (huge) step up to Performance Rally.

I've been doing this for over 20 years (and helped my dad for many years before that). This is not something you can get into overnight.

I don't want to discourage your plans. But the best advice I can give you - if you are really interested in rally - buy a car that is already built and learn to drive first. There are always lots of VW Golfs and GTIs out there for sale. Get a season or two under your belt and see if you still want to build your own car.

Contact me from my website if you want to discuss further...
Old 09-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Scott at Team Harco
....I don't want to discourage your plans. But the best advice I can give you - if you are really interested in rally - buy a car that is already built and learn to drive first. There are always lots of VW Golfs and GTIs out there for sale. Get a season or two under your belt and see if you still want to build your own car.

Contact me from my website if you want to discuss further...
That there is probably the best advise of all. In fact, I know someone who is selling a prepared Mazda 323 GTX if anybody is interested. The car can be seen in Allentown PA .

Quick Reply: Rally 924??